Moderator: R.Umali

tylertoo
Ex-GM

53.9 Exclusive: League Launches Probe Into Rumors of Black Sox Tanking

Post by tylertoo » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:43 pm

53.9 Exclusive: League Launches Probe Into
Rumors of Black Sox Tanking

Team Advisor Leon Ponzi Voices Denial

Chicago, June 30, 2053 -- Your faithful Black Sox Baseball Blog has this shocking exclusive: according to sources close to the Commissioner of the Brewster, the league has quietly launched a probe into whether the Chicago club is intentionally losing in order to ensure a top draft pick.

Image Leon reacts to the leaked emails
"We fear that Ponzi's scheme is to lose as many games as possible," said our source. "It's hard to be this bad, but if that's Ponzi's goal, he's doing a remarkable job."

The Black Sox are currently in the midst of what projects to the worst season in its hallowed history. The club currently has a 23-57 record, five games behind the two next-worse teams. In the midst of this, team GM Mike Dunn suddenly disappeared, and all decisions now are apparently made by an advisor, Leon Ponzi.

Proof of the investigation is contained in an internal league email about the investigation, a group discussion among members of the Governing Board over whether there is sufficient proof of tanking to warrant fines or other discipline. "If this isn't tanking," wrote one board member, "I don't know what is."

When we confronted Ponzi (pictured to the left) with the leaked email, he vehemently denied that he was trying to ensure the club loses. "I ain't about that bullshit. Who wrote this? The Commish? I'ma gonna call his ass up. Tanking? I don't even know what that means. We are trying to win games! Honestly, so help me god. Tanking? We ain't tanking. We are trying win games. You can count on that!"

Lending credence to the tanking theory is the fact that the club has spent little on free agents to bolster its current roster as it rebuilds. Currently the Black Sox have the second-lowest payroll in the league, at just $83 million. "We tried," retorts Ponzi, "We really did. I know of at least two top free agents who refused to talk to us because they don't like Bobby (manager Roberto Solis). Other free agents demanding 5- and 6-year deals, that would be crazy for a rebuilding club."

Ponzi also points to the success of the Black Sox minor league affiliates as proof of a sincere rebuild. The AAA affiliate, the Carolina Flight, has one of the best records in the Rupert Horn Memorial league, at 46-34. The AA Beloit Blue Sox are 19 games above .500, at 51-30, while the single-A Grand Junction Gold Sox are five games above .500.

"We traded away two studs -- Bernie Stuart and Badr Isam -- so we could restock the farm and rebuild," said Leon. "Would our big league record be better with Bernie and Badr still here? Or course it would. Would we be contenders? Of course not. So it was smart to trade those guys, and the prospects we got back are now kicking muthafuckin' ass in the minors. The fans may not like us now, but just wait a year or two!" Attendance at Vinnie Vitale Stadium is down a whopping 25% this season.

Leon had one parting shot at league officials: "Tell the governing board to stop pryin' into my business and worry about their own problems! Like all them funny little pills and white powder floatin' around the clubhouses, if you know what I mean, heh heh."
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 53.9 Exclusive: League Launches Probe Into Rumors of Black Sox Tanking

Post by Jwalk100 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:08 pm

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (5.38 KiB) Viewed 194 times
ImageImageImageImageImage

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:40 pm

Jwalk100 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:08 pm
Unknown.jpeg
I hope its clear that this was meant in good fun, pure fiction, nothing intended toward the real life governing board.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:10 pm

Yep. The pills are a joke too.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:50 pm

tylertoo wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:40 pm
Jwalk100 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:08 pm
Unknown.jpeg
I hope its clear that this was meant in good fun, pure fiction, nothing intended toward the real life governing board.
I’ll let it pass since you let me sweep you. But now you gotta beat the other teams or I’m gonna be offended.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”