Moderator: R.Umali

tylertoo
Ex-GM

52.8 At 29, Career Minor Leaguer Gets Another Shot

Post by tylertoo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:03 pm

At 29, Career Minor Leaguer Sánchez Gets Another Shot

Lefty, a righty,
gets another cup of coffee

Chicago, June 2, 2052 -- Rafael "Lefty" Sánchez has bounced around in his nine-year professional career, but never gave up his big league dream. Today, he gets another shot as the Black Sox summoned the third baseman back up to the bigs.

"I am speechless," said Sánchez, who bats and throws right-handed despite his nickname. "I am so thankful to everyone, my wife, my family, my coaches. They never gave up on me. And so I never gave up."

Sánchez can play second, third and short, and will primarily back up Asil Colasan at third. Manager Dave Schroeder tells us that if Sánchez performs well, he might consider a platoon at third. "Yes, he'll be bench strength, but he could earn a starting job." That means Asil, who earned the starting job at 3B in spring training, now has to be looking over his shoulder at Sanchez.

Lefty replaces 3B Bruce Tyler, who was DFA'd after failing to hit above .200 in a platoon role.

Sánchez has been hitting an eye-popping .338 this season at AA Beloit. Last year he played 20 games at AAA and hit .282. With literally no HR power, Sánchez is valued at the plate for his gap power and ability to avoid strike outs, as well above average base running and stealing ability. In the field, he has a solid glove at 2B and 3B, and is respectable at short. Scouts, though, are skeptical, saying he lacks worth ethic and is not particularly bright.

The Puerto Rican native was signed as an international free agent back in 2041 by Calgary. Five years later Des Moines grabbed Sánchez as the first pick in the first round of the 2046 Rule 5 draft. That led to his biggest chance -- two full seasons, '47 and '48, with Des Moines, where he batted .267 and .292 respectively.

But since then Sánchez has been stuck in either AA or AAA. Picked up by the Black Sox organization last season, he is thrilled to get one more chance at age 29. "I'm going to savor every moment."
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Re: 52.8 At 29, Career Minor Leaguer Gets Another Shot

Post by lordtoffee » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:45 pm

Always glad to see someone get a shot after paying their dues.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”