GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

tylertoo
Ex-GM

51.16 Five Pitcher Injuries in a Week Prompt Roster Ripple Effect

Post by tylertoo » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:03 pm

Five Pitcher Injuries in a Week Prompt Roster Ripple Effect
Two career minor leaguers will now make ML debuts in the coming week

Chicago, August 18, 2051 - The injury bug struck the pitching rosters of the big league and AAA clubs, with five hurlers knocked out in the space of a week. The result was a ripple effect throughout the entire organization as 23 pitchers shifted clubs to fill rosters.

The ML injuries to relievers Pedro German and Fernando Bruno (out for the year with a rupture tendon in a finger) were coupled with injuries to three pitchers at AAA Carolina.

That means two career minor leaguers will make their big league debuts as starters in the coming week.The front office promoted Eduardo Correa and Garry Bryan -- neither of whom has ever sniffed a major league locker room -- to start in the coming week. Neither is expected to fare well in Chicago, but with 15 pitchers throughout the organization now injured, the front office can't be too choosy.

Meanwhile, Kenny Kelly, who had notched two horrible starts for Chicago the previous week after an injury to Ramon Camacho, was demoted back to AAA. And SP Ray Verhoeve, acquired in a trade with Rockville earlier in the season after other injuries, was demoted to the bullpen after notching a 7.59 ERA in seven starts with Chicago. ("Rockville hoodwinked us," whined one front office type).

All of these moves at the ML level left five -- count 'em -- five pitching vacancies at AAA, so thus began a series of musical chairs in which AA pitchers were promoted to Carolina, A pitchers were promoted to AA Beloit, and SA pitchers were promoted to A Grand Junction. Keeping score? Here's the rundown:

Put another way:
Correa, 27, gets his start after eight long years in the minors. He was drafted in '43 by Atlantic City. He tallied an impressive 2.86 ERA in seven starts in AAA, and that was enough to warrant his cup of coffee.

Bryan, for his part, was an undrafted amateur signed by Madison back in '42, so he has spent nine seasons in the minors before this week's promotion. He had 17 starts at AA this season with a 3.15 ERA and was lights out in 10 relief innings at AAA.

When asked for comment on this huge freakin' mess, GM Mike Dunn was curt. "We're not crying about injuries. Every club gets injuries. We're not crying. No. Not at all." Image
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: 51.16 Five Pitcher Injuries in a Week Prompt Roster Ripple Effect

Post by ae37jr » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:42 pm

I hope we don't adjust the injuries again. It adds a randomness that makes the league more enjoyable. Sure, it sucks when it happens to you. But nothing more enjoyable than seeing a perennial powerhouse get gutted mid season and have to scramble
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:35 pm

ae37jr wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:42 pm
I hope we don't adjust the injuries again. It adds a randomness that makes the league more enjoyable. Sure, it sucks when it happens to you. But nothing more enjoyable than seeing a perennial powerhouse get gutted mid season and have to scramble
See 2050 Las Vegas Hustlers @recte44. Put a halt to a dynasty.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:50 am

ae37jr wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:42 pm
I hope we don't adjust the injuries again.
I hope you don't think I was advocating for that by posting this story. I'm fine with the way things are, it just adds to the fiction of the league (particularly when injuries cause career minor leaguers to get cups of coffee in the bigs, like here).

I mainly posted this story because I was struck by the disparity in the number of pitchers hurt vs position players. 15 of my 16 injured players are pitchers. I don't recall experiencing that before in many years of OOTP. But that's just the way the RNG rolls.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:11 am

No, I wasn't trying to call you out. I've just been reading about others, mostly on discord, talking about injuries being more than normal and it tripped my fun meter

I remember back in the 2030"s, a group of GMs we're having the same conversation, which lead to a team news, which lead to a poll, which lead to us lowering injuries.

It's the whole arcade mode vs simulation argument. Neither side is wrong. I would just rather see players get injured as opposed stoppers pitching 200 innings *coughHubercough* a year because there is very little consequence to running them out there 2-3 innings a game, which is totally unrealistic and arcade like.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 am

ae37jr wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:11 am
No, I wasn't trying to call you out. I've just been reading about others, mostly on discord, talking about injuries being more than normal and it tripped my fun meter

I remember back in the 2030"s, a group of GMs we're having the same conversation, which lead to a team news, which lead to a poll, which lead to us lowering injuries.

It's the whole arcade mode vs simulation argument. Neither side is wrong. I would just rather see players get injured as opposed stoppers pitching 200 innings *coughHubercough* a year because there is very little consequence to running them out there 2-3 innings a game, which is totally unrealistic and arcade like.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:23 pm

The injuries are a necessary part of creating the "normal" ratings environment that is currently way out of whack.

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:46 pm

……so they will start vs Madison….

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”