51.4 FA SNAFU: Black Sox Owner Vinnie Vitale Signs Castillo, Mistakenly Thinking He's Italian

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

tylertoo
Ex-GM

51.4 FA SNAFU: Black Sox Owner Vinnie Vitale Signs Castillo, Mistakenly Thinking He's Italian

Post by tylertoo » Mon May 23, 2022 5:20 pm

FA SNAFU: Black Sox Owner Vinnie Vitale Signs Castillo,
Mistakenly Thinking He's Italian

Fans Rejoice, Critics Guffaw
Slugger yes, Italian no

January 3, 2051
-- Black Sox owner Vinnie Vitale, in an exclusive interview, revealed that he insisted the front office sign slugger Fernando Castillo because he "wanted to reward a fellow paison (countryman)."

"After he settles in, I'm going to invite him over for some zuppe de pesce, some nice gnocchi and ragu, the works. We'll talk about the old country. I bet we both have family in Naples."

When informed by your intrepid reporter that Castillo is actually of Nicaraguan descent, Vitale simply stared out the window, looking dumbfounded and scratching his chin:

After a few minutes Vitale muttered to no one in particular, "I thought he was one of us. I thought he was one of us." He stood and shuffled out the door, and his PR agent promptly shut the interview down.

Castillo, 33, signed a five-year contract totaling $90 million. "That's a lot of meatballs," joked one front office source.

The team has an option in year four. "(So it) looks like a likely 3 year deal worth $59M, because at age 36 it's unlikely he is still covering the corner outfield well and his bat won't be good enough to DH," said one rival GM, asking for anonymity.

Another GM, also asking not to be named, minced no words. "It's an overpay," he said. "He's declined a lot, but had a nice bounce back last season so he could be good."

Castillo's "nice comeback" came with Louisville, where he hit .318 and led the league in slugging at .585 thanks mainly to 40 home runs. He won the Frick League Comeback Player of the Year Award, along with Sawyer Silk Silver Slugger and Charles Puckett Golden Bat Awards.

Fan interest in season tickets is said to have increased considerably after Castillo signed, which the front office values after two straight years without a playoff appearance, and with the departure of fan favorite Pedro Gomez.

Still, this deal could come to haunt the team if he doesn't perform to expectations. Maybe a regimen of Mama Vitale's minestrone and veal parm would be in order.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: 51.4 FA SNAFU: Black Sox Owner Vinnie Vitale Signs Castillo, Mistakenly Thinking He's Italian

Post by Dington » Mon May 23, 2022 5:58 pm

Appreciate the anonymity.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

WestCoastStros
Ex-GM

Re: 51.4 FA SNAFU: Black Sox Owner Vinnie Vitale Signs Castillo, Mistakenly Thinking He's Italian

Post by WestCoastStros » Mon May 23, 2022 7:36 pm

Meatballs quote is too good 😂

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon May 23, 2022 11:32 pm

Ooo leader of the pack for Caleca TN 2051

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Tue May 24, 2022 7:20 am

As an Italian American (Mom's side), I'm outaged by these stereotypical depictions of Italian-American pride run wild!

As a self-aware human who grew up in a family prone to pointing out all the "hidden" Italian Americans out there (eg, it was important that we knew the true surnames of Dean Martin and Tony Bennett - and not a Steelers game could be broadcast without a moment of pride for Franco Harris), I got a good laugh out of this!
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Tue May 24, 2022 7:40 am

JimSlade wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:20 am
I'm outaged
Is that due to a power outage? :P

Seriously, I do hope no one takes offense by this. But when your owner's name is Vinnie Vitale, it is hard not to go there....
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Tue May 24, 2022 8:59 am

Ha, that typo was the result of me squinting through an eye shield and having my newly installed lens following cataract surgery yesterday duke it out with my cloudy eye that will be addressed in 2 weeks. My right eye is seeing so much better! No offense taken. Your piece actually stirred funny memories.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”