Moderator: R.Umali

tylertoo
Ex-GM

51.2 Below League Average, Overpaid Bum Unsurprisingly Opts Not to Opt Out

Post by tylertoo » Tue May 17, 2022 8:45 pm

Below League Average, Overpaid Bum
Unsurprisingly Opts Not to Opt Out

Chicago, November 11, 2050
-- "If you were offered $14 million despite being perfectly replacement level, wouldn't you take it, too?"

That was the snide, sarcastic and revolting response of Black Sox 1B/DH Aarnoud Budding when asked by reporters why he decided not to opt of the remaining two years of his contract. Many fans had hoped that Budding would opt out to rid the team of a player who was barely replacement level in 2050. But, no such luck.

One rich dude
The 30-year old Budding, in a hastily called news conference after the decision, put it simply: "There was no reason to opt out. I had a horrible year, I admit it. Why would I try free agency? No team would give me anywhere near this amount. A deal is a deal, and the team is obligated to pay me, even if I suck."

And suck, Budding does. His slash line in 2050 was a wretched .216/.294/.391, good for a -0.4 WAR. His decision not to opt out leaves Chicago on the hook for $14.3 million this year and $15 million next year.

The decision of catcher Pedro Gomez to opt out and test free agency leaves Budding with the highest salary of any player in the organization.

GM Mike Dunn was circumspect about the situation. "This is a contract I inherited. I'm stuck with it. I appreciate Aarnoud's candor, but I do wish he's spend a little more time in the batting cage."

Dunn would not comment on rumors that he is considering cutting Budding outright and eating the remainder of the contract. His attempts to trade Budding last season met with crickets from other GMs.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”