Ex-GM

50.12 Fans Rejoice as Stud SP Bernie Stuart Inks 6-Year, $93M Extension

Post by tylertoo » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 pm

Fans Rejoice as Stud SP Bernie Stuart Inks 6-Year, $93M Extension
Amid the team's rebuild, former 10th round pick commits to the future

Bernie will stay
in Chi-town

September 2, 2050
-- Just eight years after being drafted in the 10th round by the Black Sox, the unlikely superstar Bernie Stuart today committed to staying in Chicago for six more years, signing a six-year, $93 million dollar extension that buys out his final year of arbitration.

The deal also came one month after an initial but premature contract announcement that was made before Stuart reached five years of service. That contract was swiftly negated by the Commissioner's office, leading to embarrassment for the Black Sox front office. But it appears that GM Mike Dunn had the last laugh. The initial, and faulty, extension totaled $105 million, but this time Stuart (who might be seeking out a new agent) settled for $12 million less.

The club, for its part, wasn't gloating. "We are thrilled that our ace, Bernie Stuart, has decided that Chicago will remain his home,” said team owner Vinnie Vitale in a statement undoubtedly written by an overpaid PR flack. “Bernie is the sort of player that teams build around, and we’re proud to have the honor of building around him.”

Bernie also tweeted the news
The lucrative extension is the culmination of the surprising rise of a young pitcher who was virtually overlooked in the 2042 draft. He was chosen by the Black Sox almost as an afterthought, with team scouts split on his outlook. “I admit I was wrong about Bernie – I argued against choosing him,” said former team scout Edwin Warthole. “Fortunately, every other team passed on him as well.” In fact, Bernie was the 342nd player chosen in the draft.

Stuart, despite an early season injury, has been formidable so far this year, even as the Black Sox as a whole have struggled. After 16 starts, Bernie is currently 7-5 with a 1.99 era, 1.00 WHIP, 8.3 K/9, and an ERA+ of 196. His career WAR, at age 26, is 25.4.

The extension contract pays Stuart $14.2 $11.4 million next season, $17.4 $16.8 million in '52 and '53, $18.4 $16.8 in 2054, then $18.8 $15.6 million in each of the final two seasons, '55 and '56. Stuart can opt out before the '54 season. There's a team option after '55, with a $3.8 $3.2 million buyout, and Stuart can opt out before the final year. A Steve Nebraska award in any of the six years will earn him a tidy bonus of $2 million $900,000.

Skeptics, though are concerned about the length of the deal, given Bernie’s history of various ailments. He missed seven weeks this season with shoulder tendonitis. “Those are red flags, no doubt, and I'd be wary," said one official with another team, who asked for anonymity. "But I understand that the team needed to do this to shore up the fan base, particularly after trading away (popular second baseman) Rocky Wattson."

Fans, at least for the moment, are thrilled. One tweeted, "I would dread seeing Bernie in another uni. I don't care how much it cost, 'specially cuz it ain't my money!"
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: 50.12 Fans Rejoice as Stud SP Bernie Stuart Inks 6-Year, $93M Extension

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:49 pm

Wow. He signed cheaper. Nice.

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 50.12 Fans Rejoice as Stud SP Bernie Stuart Inks 6-Year, $93M Extension

Post by Jwalk100 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:12 pm

Vinnie had some more time to get some dirt on Stuart.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”