Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 46.002: Sox Name Sosa Pitcher of the Year For Second Season in a Row

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:24 am

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

For the second year in a row, Black Sox relief ace Gilberto Sosa has won the team’s Pitcher of the Year award.

Gilberto Sosa
Working as a stopper who entered games at crucial moments, Sosa pitched in 75 games, threw 140.1 innings, and posted a 6-5 record with 25 saves. He had a 2.24 ERA, a 2.74 FIP, 202 strikeouts and 13.0 K/9. He also compiled 4.5 WAR, tops on the pitching staff.

At 26 years old, Sosa has made the Frick League All-Star Team in 4 of his 5 BBA seasons, including the last 3 in a row.

With Sosa entering the last year of his contract, team sources say Sox owner Vinnie Vitale’s top priority is signing his bullpen star to an extension.

“It’s hard to argue with him – Sosa is a stud, and you don’t let players like that walk away,” said Gayle Combs, an analyst for Horsehide Heaven, an eclectic blog that specializes in coverage of the BBA, the UMEBA and equestrian issues.

The only possible storm cloud on the horizon, Combs said, is that Sosa does not seem to get along particularly well with manager Julian Negrete.

“Frankly, if it comes to that, Chicago would rather have a happy Sosa than have Negrete in the dugout,” she added. “Look for them to make a move if that becomes an issue. The fact that they can’t make it out of the first round of the playoffs isn’t helping Negrete much.”

Sosa, meanwhile, is holding his cards close.

“I love it here and I’m not looking to move anywhere, but I’ve told the team I don’t want to even discuss contracts until 2046 and I’m holding to that,” he said. “It was a nice season and I want to savor that for awhile.

“Plus, Pitcher of the Year two seasons in a row? Pretty sweet. I just hope Vinnie sends a Tower of Pears – I’m getting a little hungry here!”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”