Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 45.040: Chicago Nabs Playoff Spot

Post by HoosierVic » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:25 am

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The Chicago Black Sox on Saturday punched its ticket to the post-season, even though they lost a game to the hated Des Moines Kernels.

Chicago clinched a Wild Card spot by pulling 10.5 games ahead of the Twin Cities River Monsters with just 9 games remaining on their schedule. Although Twin Cities is still alive for one of the lower Frick League Wild Card positions, they cannot oust the Sox.

As of Sept. 21, Chicago had a record of 92-61, 9 games behind Heartland Division-leading Yellow Springs but safely in possession of a Wild Card. The Sox are just the third team in the BBA to secure a playoff berth so far, behind Yellow Springs (101-52) and Frontier Division leader Edmonton (98-55).

“Color me surprised,” said analyst Gayle Combs of Chin Music Quarterly, an irreverent publication that follows the BBA and the UMEBA. “I didn’t expect Chicago to secure a playoff spot at all this year, much less clinch this early. They’ve been playing surprisingly well since picking up Pedro Gomez from Portland back in May.”

Pedro Gomez
Indeed, Gomez (.348/.386/.570 with 13 homers and 73 RBIs for the Sox) has helped revitalize the Chicago offensive attack. The team now stands at 7th in the Frick for batting average, 11th for on-base percentage, and 7th for slugging after ranking 15th or 16th in those statistics early in the season.

Now, the questions are: can Chicago hang onto 2nd place in the Heartland (Omaha currently trails them by just a game) and advance past the first round of the playoffs? Last season, the Sox were swept out by Omaha in a particularly listless performance.

“That’s the real issue for them now,” Combs said. “Chicago’s made the playoffs four seasons in a row, but it needs to show it can do more than that or it will just be another year of frustration.”

Team Tops 3.8 Million in Attendance

The Black Sox blew past last year’s regular season attendance mark of 3.4 million, as league officials announced Chicago had drawn 3,874,919 fans to their Calumet City ballpark in 2045.

That is the best attendance for the franchise in more than 30 years. Chicago drew 4.5 million fans in 2014 when it was playing in its old, larger stadium in downtown Chicago.

Chicago added 5,000 seats to Black Sox Park last offseason, bringing its seating capacity to 50,000 – a move that some local critics questioned as an overreach.

“Hey – we got a good club, people wanna see ‘em, and we like to please the people,” said Sox Owner Vinnie Vitale. “Anybody sez otherwise, they can take it up with me and my security detail. Capiche?”

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: Sox Scoops 45.040: Chicago Nabs Playoff Spot

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:45 pm

3.8m fans!

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:14 am

Nice season. I mean, stupid season!
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:56 pm

I think there million of those fans are recycled cardboard cutouts acquired by a rift in the dimensions.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”