Sox Scoops 45.039: Does YS9 Scandal Have Roots In Chicago?

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 45.039: Does YS9 Scandal Have Roots In Chicago?

Post by HoosierVic » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:47 am

Mid-August excerpt from “Kup’s Korner,” a sports/gossip/celebrities column in eChicago Today:

… Black Sox owner Vinnie Vitale was seen this week at the Cherry Circle Room, a chic downtown watering hole, huddled with a gentleman identified for this reporter as Alex Gonzalez, a front office type with the Yellow Springs Nine. Offseason trade winds blowing? Or, perhaps, something more nefarious? …

Aug. 23 wire service item out of Yellow Springs:

YELLOW SPRINGS – District Attorney Chaz Bringahmin announced today the Yellow Spring Nine Assistant General Manager Alex Gonzalez is currently under investigation for conspiracy to unseat his boss.

“Details are not yet clear, but our investigation has been on-going for some time,” Bringahmin said at a hastily assembled press conference that was made necessary by leaks in social media spheres that are suggesting that Gonzalez, who has been with the club for three seasons now, had met several times with feied manager Sam Brewington to discuss teaming up in an attempt to get owner Bo Jordan to fire long0time GM Ron Collins …

Early September excerpt from “Kup’s Korner:

… Finally, a curious entry from the Calumet City police blotter: Yellow Springs Nine Assistant GM Alex Gonzalez has apparently been living in a Dumpster near Black Sox Park for several days. Gonzalez, you may recall, was seen last month deep in conversation with Sox owner Vinnie Vitale at an upscale bar in Chicago. Curiouser and curiouser, as the saying goes ...

Excerpt from recent call between Sox Owner Vinnie Vitale And Vic Caleca, Assistant to the Assistant GM of the Sox:

Caleca: So, boss, I gotta ask – what’s the deal with Gonzalez? Last I heard he was living in a Dumpster mumbling about pears. Were you gonna bring him on board?

Vinnie: Nah. I may – or may not – have had a couple of meetings with him about how … um … secure Collins’ job was in Yellow Snow. But it was just … well, let’s say exploratory.

Caleca: Damn it, Vinnie … you weren’t trying to topple Collins, were you? Were you behind that goofy coup attempt with Gonzalez and Brewington?

Vinnie: Moi? Of course not. Now, I may or may not have mentioned to Goofus Gonzalez that there could be some premium fruit in it for him if, say, Collins had a little falling out with the rest of the front office brain trust down there. But I left it totally up to him, you know? Who knew he was a total fruitcake?

Heh. Pears. Fruit. Fruitcake … see what I did there?

Caleca: Jesus, Vinnie. Now the guy’s in a psych ward mumbling about fruit. I hope you at least gave him some actual pears …

Vinnie: Hell no. Gonzaga and that moron manager down there got found out. No pears for that. Melon balls at best, Caleca … and they were lucky to get that!

Call ends

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”