Sox Scoops 45.018: Class A Skipper Wins Chicago's Minor League Manager of the Year

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 45.018: Class A Skipper Wins Chicago's Minor League Manager of the Year

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:15 am

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

Roberto Solis, manager of the Class A Grand Junction Gold Sox, has been named the Manager of the Year in the Chicago minor league system for 2044.

Roberto Solis
This was the second time in three years that Solis, 38, has won the award.

Grand Junction won the Provost League West Central Division this past season with a record of 89-51, then lost in the first round of the playoffs.

“It was an amazing year for Mr. Solis,” said Benny Vitale, general manager of the Chicago Black Sox. “Grand Junction did not have a particularly loaded roster this season. In fact, our scouts have really identified just a couple of players on the Gold Sox who they expect to have BBA careers.

“And yet, Mr. Solis and his coaching staff pulled this group together and helped them achieve far beyond what anyone expected. That’s the definition of leadership, and we’re proud to honor Roberto with this award.

Solis joined the Gold Sox in 2042, when he guided them to a 94-46 record and Charley Pegler League championship.

In all, now, Solis has achieved a 258-162, .614 record with Grand Junction, and has established himself as a potential big league manager.

“All I asked for was an opportunity,” Solis said, “and I’m grateful to Chicago for giving me a chance. But most of all, I’m grateful to my coaches and the fine young men who have played there hearts out for us here. We’re looking forward to a great season in 2045. Go Sox!”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”