Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 45.013: AAA Team Names CF As Hitter Of The Year

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 am

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The Carolina Flight – AAA affiliate of the Chicago Black Sox – on Friday honored CF Keith Sanchez as its Hitter of the Year for 2044.

Keith Sanchez
Although Sanchez makes his most notable contributions with his glove, the fleet center fielder also made some noise this season with his bat. He slashed .248/.347/.401 with 10 triples, 11 HR, 53 RBI and 28 SB. He also led the team with 3.7 WAR.

His Carolina coaches and teammates credit Sanchez as being a sparkplug for the team, setting an example with his hustle and exemplary work habits.

Scouts, however, say his skill sets are borderline (5/5 contact; 7/7 gap power; 5/5 home run power; 6/6 plate discipline; and 5/5 avoiding strikeouts) and that he’ll likely only ever be a bench player in the BBA. Sanchez, 26, of Phoenix, AZ, had extended tryouts with the Black Sox in 2040 and 2041, but struggled against BBA pitching. His career BBA slashline is .189/.273/.325 in 367 plate appearances.

“What can I say?” Sanchez said. “I hope I can get another shot sometime – either with the Sox or someone else. If nothing else, I know I can help someone who needs outfield defense.”

Front office sources said the decision to award Sanchez Hitter of the Year was a narrow decision, because OF Hao Hang had overwhelmingly better numbers (.296/.369/.660 with 34 homers). Hang, however, spent only about half the year with Carolina, after being demoted by the Sox to work on his batting stroke.

"The coaches thought it would be more appropriate to honor someone who'd been with the team for the full year," the source said.

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”