Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 45.015: Black Sox Name Hitter Of The Year

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The Chicago Black Sox on Monday named second baseman Rocky Wattson as the team’s Hitter of the Year after a season in which he dominated the team’s offensive leader board.

Rocky Wattson
Wattson, 26, slashed .259/.323/.526 with a team-high 35 home runs, 92 RBI, 30 stolen bases and 4.6 WAR.

His WAR figure was nearly double his closest competitor, 1B Aarnoud Budding, who had 2.7.

“The Sox are not an offensive juggernaut by any stretch,” said Malcolm Wilkes, who covers the Frick Heartland Division for BBA Weekly. “In fact, it’s a stretch to call them a mediocre offensive team, but they would have been truly wretched without Wattson.”

Although Wattson has been in the running for the team award in several past seasons, this was the first time he’s actually won it.

But likely not the last.

“The man can play baseball, no question about it,” said Manager Julian Negrete. “He was the anchor we built the lineup around all year.”

Despite his gifts on the diamond, Wattson is perhaps best known for his distinctive facial hair – a Napolean III Imperial with a mustache that comes to a lethal point at each end.

“Legendary,” said Wilkes with an appreciative nod.

As for Wattson, he said winning the team hitting award has been a goal of his each year with the Sox and he was gratified to finally win it.

“But awards are kinda bullcrap, really – except for that Best ‘Stache Award I won in ’41 from Gentleman’s Quarterly. I got that one on my mantel. Otherwise, who cares? What counts is winning – making the playoffs and, one of these years, advancing past the first round,” Wattson.

“That’s the goal for this year. Go Sox!”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”