Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 43-010: Grand Junction Skipper Wins Franchise Manager of Year Award

Post by HoosierVic » Thu May 28, 2020 1:57 pm

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

Grand Junction, Colo. – Roberto Solis, who took the Grand Junction Gold Sox to the first Charley Pegler League championship in the team’s 48-year history, has won Manager of the Year for the Chicago Black Sox system.

Solis, 36, won the league title in his first year as manager, leading the team to a 94-46 record and its third consecutive PL West Central Division flag.
Roberto Solis
He also won Manager of the Year for the Provost Sub-League.

“It was quite a year,” Solis said. “I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around it.”

Solis was hired last season when Chicago General Manager Benny Vitale decided to fire his predecessor, Eduardo Martínez, in a controversial move. Martínez had achieved a 173-107 record and won two division titles during his tenure with the Gold Sox, but a management consultant group hired by Vitale had determined that his development influence on his players was below average.

The consultant firm – the Kocherschmeltz Group – recommended Solis as someone who could help his players develop more effectively.

Apparently, they were right.

After two years marked by quick playoff exits, Gold Sox players seemed to play better and better as the season went along. And they were beasts in the playoffs, going 7-1 overall in the postseason and sweeping the championship series against the Lake City Limes 3-0.

“Skip was a tremendous presence in the dugout,” said Gold Sox pitching prospect John McClain. “He could tell when guys were pressing and help ease them out of it. And he has a knack for helping you learn from screwups instead of making you feel like a moron. He’s a great manager.”

Vitale agreed.

“We knew from the outset that Mr. Solis was the right man for this team,” she said. “I know it was unusual to fire someone who seemed to be as successful as Mr. Martínez, but the Kocherschmeltz Group noted that his players simply didn’t respond to him the way players respond to Mr. Solis.

“I think this season was ample proof that we made the correct call. Now, we look forward to Grand Junction and Mr. Solis mounting a title defense next season.”

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sox Scoops 43-010: Grand Junction Skipper Wins Franchise Manager of Year Award

Post by RonCo » Fri May 29, 2020 1:43 am

You can't win an argument against success.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”