Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 43.006: AAA Carolina Names Pitcher of the Year

Post by HoosierVic » Wed May 27, 2020 4:00 pm

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The Carolina Flight this week named SP Derrek Terry as their Pitcher of the Year for the 2042 season.

Terry, 28, of Elk Grove, Calif., was 10-10 with a 4.19 ERA in 30 starts and 182.2 innings pitched. He struck out 164 batters, and walked 56.

Derrek Terry
Flight Pitching Coach Francisco Nava, who just recently joined the team, said Terry pitched well in a tough offensive environment.

“The league average ERA was 4.89, and teams were scoring at 5.2 runs per game, so Derrek’s performance was pretty creditable all things considered,” Nava said.

And while that’s true, the BBA Scouting Consortium is skeptical of Terry’s future in the majors as a starter.

“Terry has the stamina to start,” his scouting report says, “but the quality of his pitches may work better in the bullpen.”

Scouts currently rate him as 40/45 in overall potential as a starter, and 40/40 as a reliever. They rate his stuff at 6/6; his pitch movement at just 3/3; and his control at 6/6.

“Look, I know what the scouts say,” Terry said this week. “But I did OK this year, didn’t I? What else am I supposed to do?”

Black Sox General Manager Benny Vitale said the franchise is well aware of Mr. Terry’s talents – and shortcomings – as a pitcher.

“His pitch movement does not really conform to our Blueprint™ for success, but we shall keep an eye on how he does,” she said. “Perhaps Mr. Terry will find himself in Chicago one of these days. Or, perhaps he will not. The future is in his hands.”

Terry joined the Black Sox organization in 2041, signing a minor league contract after he was released by the Charlotte Cougars and joining the AA Beloit Blue Sox.

His high point with the franchise came on July 30 when he pitched a no-hitter against the New Jersey River Rats, with 6 strikeouts and 3 walks.

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”