Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 42.185: Kocher Named Class A Grand Junction's Pitcher of the Year

Post by HoosierVic » Sun May 24, 2020 10:31 am

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The Grand Junction Gold Sox have named their closer, Ike Kocher, as the team’s Pitcher of the Year, edging out starting pitchers Pat Pederson, John McClain and Wessel Croonenborg.

“Seriously, any of those guys – plus a handful of other guys – could have won the award,” said Sox Manager Roberto Solis. “It was that kind of year.

Ike Kocher
“But we kept coming back to Ike and how crucial he was all year long. He lifted the team day in and day out and was one of the keys to our Pegler League championship this season.”

Kocher, 20, of Bismarck, N.D., was 5-4 with 41 saves this season. He notched a 2.92 ERA with 48 strikeouts and 20 walks in 61.2 innings of work.

The BBA Scouting Consortium is bullish on his future, rating him as 40/45 for his overall potential. They rate his stuff at 5/6; his pitch movement as 8/8; and his control as 6/6.

His scouting report concludes that he should “someday fill a useful role in the bullpen.”

Kocher, a 4th round pick in the 2041 draft, said he hopes he can do better than that.

“Useful is good, sure, but I hope I’ll be more than that,” he said. “I want to be a star in the BBA one day – someone the Black Sox can throw at any team with confidence I’ll get the job done.”

Benny Vitale, the Black Sox general manager, said he’s well on his way.

“We are most impressed with Mr. Kocher’s progress, and are confident that he’ll be pitching in Black Sox Park one day soon,” she said. “His ability to induce groundballs and keep the ball in the park are precisely the qualities we look for in our Blueprint™ for team development.”

Kocher is expected to be offered a spot on Chicago’s Florida Development League team this fall, and will certainly move on to AA Beloit next season.

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”