Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 42.184: Class A Grand Junction Names Hitter of the Year

Post by HoosierVic » Sun May 24, 2020 10:07 am

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The Grand Junction Gold Sox announced this week that outfielder Mario Vega has been named the team’s Hitter of the Year for 2042.

Mario Vega
Vega, 22, of West Covina, Calif., slashed .270/.390/.511 and had 26 homers and 91 RBIs in 123 games for the Sox. He was chosen for the Provost Sub-League All-Star team, won the MVP Award for his performance in Grand Junction’s first round playoff series against Hollywood, and won the Provost Platinum Stick Award for RF.

“Without Mario, I don’t think we would have won the Pegler Championship this year,” said Manager Roberto Solis. “He was the straw that stirred the drink all season long.”

Vega was a 13th Round pick in the 2038 draft and has been slowly working his way through the Sox system. This was his second season with Grand Junction after playing a part-time role in 2041. Franchise officials wanted to give him a chance at more regular playing time, which he would not have received at AA Beloit this year.

He made the most of the opportunity.

“I admit I was a little pissed off when they told me I wouldn’t be moving up, but when Roberto came in as manager, he explained they wanted me to work with (hitting coach) Nicolaas Alberts on my power stroke,” Vega said. “I think the extra year here really helped.”

Scouts agree he has above average power, but doubt he’ll ever be much more than a bench player in the BBA.

They grade him as 30/40 overall, with 4/4 contact; 7/7 gap power; 6/6 home run power; 5/6 plate discipline; and 4/4 at avoiding strikeouts.

Team officials say Vega likely will join Chicago’s entry in the Florida Prospect League and then will move on to AA Beloit next season.

“We’ve seen enough of Mr. Vega to know that we want to give him more opportunities to progress with the franchise,” said General Manager Benny Vitale. “His future is in his hands.”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”