Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 42-181: Rookie League Monclova Names Pitcher of the Year

Post by HoosierVic » Fri May 22, 2020 1:49 pm

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

Monclova, Mexico – Although he had no shortage of in-house competition, SP prospect Ken Marshall this week was named Pitcher of the Year for the Monclova Aqua Sox.

Ken Marshall
Marshall a 19-year-old right-hander from Conley, GA, was 5-4 with a 3.41 ERA and 9.2 K/9 in 13 starts and 92.1 IP.

He also won the Horizon Sub-League’s Leonard Puckett Pitcher of the Year Award in a unanimous 32-0 vote. In a testament to the strength of Monclova’s pitching staff, four of the nine finalists for the award played for the Aqua Sox.

Monclova’s team ERA of 4.55 was easily the class of the entire Spike Nolan Rookie League: their nearest competitor – the Albany Atoms (Atlantic City) – had a 5.08 ERA.

“It was exciting to watch our guys go out and compete every day,” said Pitching Coach Jaime Otero. “But good as we were, top to bottom, Marshall stood out from the rest. He’s a ferocious competitor.”

Scouts project Marshall as a relief pitcher as he moves on, because he really has just two pitches he throws consistently for outs: a fastball that grades out as 7/8, and a slider that currently grades at 6/10. He also has an ineffective changeup, graded at 1/2.

Marshall’s current skill ratings are 4/7 stuff; 6/6 movement; and 3/5 control. His scouting report says he “has the looks of an average middle reliever.”

Otero disagreed with that assessment.

“I think Ken has the talent to be way above average,” he said. “We used him as a starter this season just to get him some innings, but I think he’ll be an extremely effective reliever when he moves into that role.”

The Sox selected Marshall, who also was named to the Horizon Sub-League All-Star team, in the 6th round of the 2042 amateur draft, and he was the 214th overall pick.

“I think Mr. Marshall is someone who definitely has the potential to pitch in the BBA someday,” said Black Sox GM Benny Vitale. “We plan on giving him a chance to pitch in the Florida Prospect League this fall, and then move on to our Class A affiliate in Grand Junction next season.”

Marshall said he can hardly wait.

“I appreciate the faith the Sox are showing in me,” he said, “and I promise I won’t let them down!”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”