Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 42.180 Rookie League Monclovia Names Hitter of the Year

Post by HoosierVic » Fri May 22, 2020 1:05 pm

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

Monclova, Mexico – Devin Brown, a 19-year-old left fielder from San Bernardino, Calif., has won the Hitter of the Year Award for the Monclova Aqua Sox.
Devin Brown
Brown slashed .385/.477/.593 for the Rookie League affiliate of the Chicago Black Sox in 2042. He also hit 11 home runs and collected 78 RBIs in 64 games for Monclova.

He led a powerful Aqua Sox squad (45-23) in batting average (.385), homers (11), RBIs (78), slugging percentage (.593), hits (104) and runs (71), and was second on the club for OBP (.477) and wOBA (.497).

Brown’s home run total placed him 4th in the Spike Nolan Rookie League, and his 78 RBIs were 7th.

“Devin did everything you could possibly ask of a young player this year,” said first-year manager Luis Perez. “I think working with our new hitting coach – Gabriel Calderon – really paid off for him. We look forward to seeing what he does next season in Grand Junction.”

This was Brown’s second year with Monclova. He was selected out of high school in the 13th round of the 1941 draft as a 17-year-old, and struggled a bit (.259/.308/.306) in his first year of professional ball. So, Chicago officials decided to give him a second tour of duty with Monclova’s new coaching staff and see if that might make a difference.

Indeed, it did!

“Gabriel was very patient with me and helped me fix some mechanical issues with my swing, and I felt like a new player this year,” Brown said.

Scouts are still skeptical of whether Brown has the tools to make the BBA, though. They grade his contact at 5/5; his gap power at 6/6; his home run power at 4/5; and his plate discipline at 3/4.

“Brown has top-tier minor league skills and may compete for a reserve role at the major-league level,” his scouting report says.

Still, Sox General Manager Benny Vitale said this was a significant season for Brown.

“We believe that Mr. Brown has given the organization a reason to follow his development closely, and give him every opportunity to improve,” she said.

Brown is expected to be named to Chicago’s Florida Prospect League club this fall, and then promoted to Class A Grand Junction for next season.

“These are exciting times,” Brown said. “And I intend to make the most of them!”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”