Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 42.172 Grand Junction Wins Pegler Championship

Post by HoosierVic » Sat May 16, 2020 10:45 am

Single A Edition
Sept. 16: Pegler League Championship!

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

Grand Junction, Colo. – The Grand Junction Gold Sox won the first Charley Pegler League championship in its history last week, completing a sweep of the Lake City Limes (Seattle) in their best-of-five series.

The Sox won the clincher 4-3 at Lake City behind the power hitting of outfielder Daniel Serrano and the power pitching of right-hander John McClain.
Daniel Serrano
John McClain
Serrano won the MVP award of the Pegler Series, after batting .300 for the series with 2 homers and 8 RBIs.

In the final game, he went 2 for 4 with a triple, a home run and 4 RBIs. Serrano, 26, a right-handed hitting left fielder, hit a solo shot in the first inning to give Grand Junction a 1-0 lead. Then, in the second, he keyed a two-out rally by hitting a bases-loaded triple off Lake City SP Ángel González that scored all three runners.

“Man, that was a dream come true – to be able to deliver in a spot that gives your team a shot at winning the championship,” Serrano said. “I mean, that’s every ballplayer’s fantasy.”

McClain, meanwhile, pitched 6 strong innings, allowing 4 hits and 2 runs with 5 walks and 3 strikeouts, before yielding to reliever Jerry Fletcher.

Fletcher pitched 2 scoreless innings, allowing 1 hit and striking out 1. Closer Ike Kocher came on in the 9th and yielded a 2-out solo home run to Lake City RF Luis Deocampo before getting CF Taro Kudo on a deep fly to right to end the game and notch a save.

“I think I gave the guys in the dugout a little more excitement than they wanted at the end there,” Kocher said. “But we got the job done in the end, and that’s all that counts.”

Grand Junction had the second-best record in the Pegler league this season, going 94-46 and winning the West Central Division with a 15-game margin. Only the Billings Cowboys had a better record, going 95-45 to win the Frontier Division by 21 games.

A highly-anticipated playoff showdown between the Cowboys and Gold Sox never materialized, though, because Billings lost its first-round series to Aspen 2 games to 0.

This year’s championship was especially satisfying for Grand Junction because it helped erase the past two seasons of playoff futility for the club. The Gold Sox have won their division three times in a row now, but lost to Hollywood in the first round last season and to Aspen in the first round in 2040.

“It was nice to bring it all home this time,” said rookie manager Roberto Solis. “I know there was a lot of angst in the organization and among our fans about whether we could ever succeed in the playoffs – but we’ve answered those questions in a big way.”

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 42.172 Grand Junction Wins Pegler Championship

Post by Fat Nige » Sat May 16, 2020 11:04 am

Well done Vic, the boys done well
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Sat May 16, 2020 11:52 am

Fat Nige wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:04 am
Well done Vic, the boys done well
The minors all did pretty well this year - if only we could translate that to the big league club ...

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Sat May 16, 2020 11:54 am

I managed to get my rookies to their first ever post season. Let’s see if I can do that to the SA boys next season
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Sat May 16, 2020 2:08 pm

That's excellent. What will be fun is then tracking that group as they move through your system - the single A guys who won their division last year for me moved on to my AA team and won that division this season, which was cool. Now, the core of that group will move on to AAA (except for maybe one guy who's probably ready for the Sox), and hopefully will upgrade that team. The Single A guys who won the championship will move on to AA … it's just kind of cool to see the waves of players move through the system like that ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”