Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 42.123 Three Black Sox Make All-Star Game

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:39 pm

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

Three members of the Chicago Black Sox were selected to play in the 2042 BBA All-Star Game in Louisville – and one made a surprise start.

First baseman Mark Simpson was chosen to play in his 7th All-Star Game, and was informed shortly before the game began that he would be in the starting lineup for the Frick League, even though he made the team as a reserve.

Simpson said he was given no explanation for the move, but was gratified nonetheless.

Mark Simpson
Rocky Wattson
Hao Hang
“Who wouldn’t be?” the 33-year-old veteran said after the game. “To be an All-Star is a huge honor, and to be in the starting lineup is a thrill no matter how many times you’ve done it.”

Simpson was joined on the team by two other Black Sox, both making their first appearances as All-Stars: second baseman Rocky Wattson, and outfielder Hao Hang.

“Hey, it was cool to go down and hang with the guys and play a little ball,” Wattson said. “It was a blast – I’d love to do that every year.”

Wattson, who was named as a reserve, was 0 for 1 with a walk and a strikeout, no runs and no RBIs.

Hang, also selected as a reserve, was his usual modest self in describing the experience.

“I felt a little like an imposter,” he said. “I mean there were all these huge stars, and then me. It was a great experience, but I still feel like someone must have made a clerical error.”

Hang entered the game as a pinch hitter in the 5th inning and played left field. He went 1-2 with a single.

Meanwhile, Simpson - who played first base until the 5th inning - was 1-2 with a double, no runs and no RBIs.

“I hope to be back next season, too,” Simpson said. “Eight-time All-Star has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”