Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 42.025 Black Sox Go Kocherschmeltz Blue, Hire New Short A Manager

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:58 am

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The purge of Chicago’s minor league personnel continued this week as the Black Sox dismissed the manager of its Short-Season Class A affiliate - Gustavo Hernandez - after two years of relatively mediocre leadership.

Black Sox General Manager Benedetta “Benny” Vitale hired 47-year-old Ernesto García to manage the San Pedro de Macoris Green Sox.

Although García has no professional management experience, Vitale said he received superior grades from the team’s personnel search consultants, the Kocherschmeltz Group.

Ernesto García
“According to the K-Group’s sophisticated interview process and proprietary socio-sabermetric algorithms, Mr. García will have an “excellent” development influence on the young men who play for San Pedro,” Vitale said, holding up a page from a portfolio resting on the lectern in front her.

“Please notice that his scores are all printed in bright blue – the best you can do in the Kocherschmeltz Group’s proprietary color-coding system.”

Hernandez, who compiled a 74-78 record in his two years at the helm of the Green Sox, did not fare as well in the K-Group evaluations, Vitale said.

“No, indeed,” she said, shaking her head. “Bright orange and ‘below average’ influence, I’m afraid. We cannot have orange managers leading our teams.

She also noted that Hernandez was earning $120,000 per year – a relatively princely sum among managers in the lower minors.

“My brother-in-law (Sox owner Vinnie Vitale) sometimes lets his generosity run away with him, and he did so there when he approved my predecessor’s irresponsible contract proposal for Mr. Hernandez,” Benny Vitale said. “Those days are over. We signed Mr. García to a 4-year contract at a much more fiscally responsible $54,000 per year.

“To sum up, then, we have gone from a bright orange manager earning $120,000 per year to a bright blue manager earning less than half that amount.

“This is the Kocherschmeltz way, ladies and gentlemen. We look forward to applying the K-Group’s methodology to our on-field talent in the very near future.”

García, who was en route to San Pedro on Monday, could not be reached for comment.

Hernandez, however, seemed genuinely bewildered by the turn of events.

Gustavo Hernandez
“Look, I realize we had a losing record last season. I get that Benny didn’t like that, but my goodness – look at the stiffs they gave me to work with on that team. It’s remarkable we were only 6 games under .500.”

Hernandez said he pressed his case with Sox Asst. General Manager Bill McGuffin, but was told the decision was out of his control.

“All he kept saying was that I was ‘bright orange,' whatever the hell that means. Well, OK. I don’t want to work somewhere I’m not wanted, but that group over there has gone a little nuts. At least you could talk to (former GM Vic) Caleca. Now, a lot of what he said was just goofy, but at least he had some humanity about him. These guys? I’m not so sure.”

Benny Vitale just pursed her lips when told of Hernandez’s comments.

“I assure you and Mr. Hernandez that we are human to a fault,” she said. “But we are results-oriented humans, and he did not deliver results. And I remind you, he was bright orange. That we cannot, and will not, have. We are true Kocherschmeltz blue.”

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 42.025 Black Sox Go Kocherschmeltz Blue, Hire New Short A Manager

Post by jleddy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Do I dare bring up that the color coding for coaching preference isn't a good/bad thing, but merely to distinguish from one another?
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 42.025 Black Sox Go Kocherschmeltz Blue, Hire New Short A Manager

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:50 pm

jleddy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 pm
Do I dare bring up that the color coding for coaching preference isn't a good/bad thing, but merely to distinguish from one another?
Oh, it's not the preference she's looking at. On the manager screen, if you go to the relationships tab, the middle pane gives you a read on the manager's overall development influence with the team - and which players, specifically, he'll influence more:

(From the OOTP Manual:

"The Relationships tab for managers has 2 panes, relationships and development. Relationships describe both the general overall impression the team has of the manager, as well as detailing which players will have good or bad relationships with the manager. Development Influence indicates which players whose development the manager will be particularly effective (high) or ineffective (low) at influencing.")

I'm not sure how much this actually affects things, but "excellent" overall influence (always written in blue) has to have at least some edge over "below average" (always written in orange).

At least that's the Kocherschmeltz read … and Benny's not one to learn something like that and not act on it.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Plus, he was cheaper ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”