HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 42.024 Briefing for Benny: Left Fielders

Post by HoosierVic » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:55 pm

To: Benny Vitale
From: Bill McGuffin, Why-Did-You-Give-Me-A-Life-Alert-Pendant? Asst. GM
Date: Jan. 26, 2042

About: Left Fielders

Geez, Benny. I mean Life Alert? The "I've Fallen And I Can't Get Up" guys? You know I run half-marathons, right? I mean not yet, but I'm signing up for one as soon as I get done with this.

And youth isn't everything, remember. I've got experience on my side - and I have the Harry & David's number on speed dial - I can order a fruit basket in under a minute. Talk about value-added for the organization! That's me. Young Bill, they call me. Billy the Kid, even.

OK. Enough of that. Here's the story on left fielders:

Left Fielders
PlayerLevelOvr/PotContactGapHR PowerEyeAvoid K'sPos. RatingRangeErrorArm
F. ReyesMajors55/557/77/77/75/56/67686
S. CabreraAAA45/506/67/76/74/56/63367
D. BennettAA45/507/77/77/75/56/62486
A. MendozaAA45/556/67/76/74/46/75776
J. BenitezAA35/406/66/65/53/36/66789
Fernando Reyes was everything we wanted and then some last season in LF, slashing .325/.378/.549 in a platoon with Cabrera. His only downfall is he can't hit worth a damn against lefthanders, so a platoon of some sort is really desirable. Cabrera hit fine for most of the season, but is an unmitigated disaster in the field.

We've got some options working their way through the minors, though. Ricardo Torres in AAA plays a solid LF, and although he's a left-handed hitter, he holds his own against southpaws. Jim Lorenzen, also in AAA, might be a possibility if he can learn to hit even a little.

A long way of saying our LF situation is pretty good, but not perfect. If we can pick up a right-handed corner outfielder who isn't an embarrassment in the field, we might pull the trigger.

Otherwise, we feel pretty good about where stand with Reyes and the kids coming up behind him.

So, that's a look at where we sit, position-by-position. Let me know if you need more, or want some kind of overall summary.

By the way, did you realize that Life Alert pendant didn't even have a battery in it? I mean what if I'd fallen and couldn't … well, you know.

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”