Sox Scoops 42.011: Of Benny, A Controversial Firing, And A Kochershmeltz Connection

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 42.011: Of Benny, A Controversial Firing, And A Kochershmeltz Connection

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:12 am

[iMac video clip]

(Camera shows the interior of Benny Vitale’s new office at Black Sox Park: a clean, mid-century modern look with lots of Scandinavian style furniture, blond wood and stainless steel. The only picture on the wall is a large portrait – of herself standing amid a grove of trees and cradling a shotgun. She is seated behind an expansive blond wood writing desk in a black leather and chrome office chair. The desktop is empty and spotless, but for a stylish iMac desktop computer. Seated across the desk from her, in an uncomfortable-looking straight-back wooden chair is Assistant General Manager Bill McGuffin).

GM Benedetta "Benny" Vitale
Benny Vitale: So, tell me about this manager in Grand Junction.

Bill McGuffin (tugging at his collar, his voice a little unsteady): Oh, sure. Um … let’s see … Eduardo Martínez. OK, he’s 45 and he’s kind of a quiet, studious guy. Loves sabermetrics. You know, he’s won his division the last two years … He’s 173-107 since he’s come to Grand Junction.

Benny: Yes. How did he do in the playoffs?

McGuffin: Well, he … uh … lost in the first round both years.

Benny: Hmm. So, he’s a loser.

McGuffin: What? A loser? No, no. He won the division …

Benny: Mmm Hmm.

McGuffin: Twice!

Benny: Yes. So you said.

McGuffin: Well, come on Benny, that’s not nothing.

Benny: No, but it’s not precisely the goal, either, is it, Bill? (She opens the middle drawer of her desk and takes out a thick document bound in a cover emblazoned with a Black Sox logo, and positions it precisely in front of her).

This is a study of Mr. Martínez and his leadership impact on the Gold Sox, which we commissioned from the Kocherschmeltz Group …

McGuffin: Kocherschmeltz? Isn’t that the guy in California?

Benny: (Nods): Close. Actually, this is his brother, Jürgen Kocherschmeltz. He is a developmental psychologist by training, and he and his group have devised an interesting system to grade the impact of leaders on their followers – and he has applied this system specifically to the behavioral dynamics of baseball teams.

Eduardo Martínez
McGuffin (looks mystified): Yes?

Benny: Yes. And what he has determined is that Mr. Martínez’s developmental influence on the typical player profile that comes through Grand Junction is “below average.”

McGuffin (now clearly bewildered): What now?

Benny: Is there something wrong with your hearing? Below average. (She holds up the report and points to a line that reads “below average” in large, bright orange type). There is another way to put this, Mr. McGuffin.

McGuffin: Oh?

Benny: Yes. “Unacceptable.” I’m afraid Mr. Martínez will have to go.

McGuffin: But … but … he won the division …

Benny: Yes. Twice, I believe you said.

McGuffin: Exactly!

Benny: With zero championships, I believe I observed.

McGuffin: But that’s not the measure of a minor league program – it’s the quality of the players they produce …

Benny: I agree completely. And what success Grand Junction has had in this regard, the Kochershmeltz Group attributes to the excellent coaches on the Grand Junction staff – coaches who we have invested in for specialized Kochershmeltz Group instructional training this offseason.

McGuffin: Kochershmeltz Group training?

Benny: You really should look into having your hearing tested, Mr. McGuffin. (Looks at him quizzically) How old are you, again?

McGuffin: Young. Very young.

Benny (looks dubious): All right. Well, please inform Mr. Martínez that his services are no longer required. We have an offer out, meanwhile, to a replacement who the Kochershmeltz Group recommends very highly: they grade his player development influence – his PDI, if you will – as “excellent.”

Bill McGuffin

McGuffin: Excellent?

Benny (sighs and holds up the report, pointing to a line that reads “Excellent” in bright blue letters). I’ll take the liberty of asking Dr. Mellouk, the team trainer, to arrange a hearing test for you this afternoon.

McGuffin (stunned): A hearing test. I don't think I need ...

Benny: Yes, but I think you need. First, though, please inform Mr. Martínez to have his office cleared by the end of the day. Thank you. Dismissed.

McGuffin (stands shakily and turns to leave): He’s won the division …

Benny: Twice. Yes. And he needs to go. As do you, if you’re going to be a roadblock for me.

McGuffin (pulls himself up straight): No. Not at all. I’m on it, Benny.

Benny: Very good. Dr. Mellouk’s assistant will be in touch about the hearing test. Good day.

[Recording Ends]

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: Sox Scoops 42.011: Of Benny, A Controversial Firing, And A Kochershmeltz Connection

Post by shoeless.db » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:52 am

I snorted when I read this... hilarious.

And, how dare the Black Sox utilize Dr. Kocherschmetlz's deranged brother for your needless firings...
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 42.011: Of Benny, A Controversial Firing, And A Kochershmeltz Connection

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:33 pm

shoeless.db wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:52 am
I snorted when I read this... hilarious.

And, how dare the Black Sox utilize Dr. Kocherschmetlz's deranged brother for your needless firings...
Deranged? Clearly you meant “visionary.” His color coded reports are bleeding edge stuff!

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:28 pm

Red means bad blue good - got it 😜

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:32 am

CTBrewCrew wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:28 pm
Red means bad blue good - got it 😜
It's the color coding OOTP uses - call up any manager screen, go to the "relationships" tab, and there's a color-coded rating for their development influence. Kochershmeltz just pretends to be cutting edge - he's really just copying the game screens ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”