Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 41.165: AAA Carolina Pitcher of the Year

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:31 pm

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

Hector Reyes has been named Pitcher of the Year for the Carolina Flight, the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Black Sox.

Hector Reyes
Reyes turned in the best year of his career in 2041, starting 24 games while posting a 12-3 record, a 3.07 ERA, a 3.47 FIP, 158 Ks and 64 walks. He also contributed 4.8 WAR.

“We really couldn’t have asked for any better from Hector this year,” said Flight manager Jeff Matthews. “He gave us good outing after good outing all year long, and it was a treat to watch him work.”

So far in his career, though, Reyes has had trouble bringing that kind of production to the big leagues: his career BBA totals are a 2-8 record with a 5.90 ERA.

Reyes was selected to the Granville Subleague All-Star team this season, and finished third in the voting for the Mitch Cain Hurler Award, which honors the league’s top pitcher.

The BBA Scouting Consortium likes Reyes’ four-pitch mix and outstanding slider, but says he’s “susceptible to the long ball and wandering command. Reyes should be a good spot starter, perhaps someone to fill in at the back end of the rotation.”

Chicago Assistant GM Bill McGuffin said Reyes will likely sit out the Florida Prospect League to give his arm a rest, and should get an invitation to Spring Training.

“Whether he makes the big club is up to him, of course,” McGuffin said. “But we’ll give him every opportunity.”

Reyes said that’s all he wants.

“Give me a chance to show what I can do, and I’ll take it from there,” he said.

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”