Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 41.005 "Sox Part Ways With Tim Torres, 4 Others"

Post by HoosierVic » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 pm

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer

Chicago Sports Online

The Chicago Black Sox parted ways with five players – including three on the major league roster – when management elected not to tender arbitration offers this week.

Among those departing:
  • Outfielder Tim Torres, who earned $6.25 million last season and was asking for $8 million in 2041. Although Torres was a fan favorite and a team sparkplug, he struggled last season as he slashed .226/.309/.327 and produced -0.1 WAR.
  • Outfielder Raúl Gasco, who earned $500,000 last season and was asking for more than $1.6 million in 2041. Gasco also had a poor season, slashing .198/.274/.396 and producing 0.3 WAR in 45 games.
  • Backup 3B Victor Bedolla, who became expendable when starting third baseman Luis González decided to opt into the final years of his contract. Bedolla appeared in just 26 games in 2040 and was asking about $1.5 million for next year. He slashed .222/.232/.407 and produced 0.0 WAR.
Two minor league players who had spent time with the major league club in seasons past also were not tendered contracts: Catcher Sergio Hernandez and first baseman Wendel Clark, who both played for AAA Carolina last season. Neither player had any prospects of moving up to the major league team, so management decided to cut them loose.

“These are all good players, and we’re sure they’ll find work elsewhere,” said GM Vic Caleca. “But for a number of reasons, none of them fits the team’s Blueprint™ going forward.”

Tim Torres
Raúl Gasco
Victor Bedolla
“They all have our sincere thanks for jobs well done, and can expect farewell fruit baskets from our owner Vinnie Vitale within the next week or so.”

Although most of the players left town soon after the season ended and were unavailable for comment, Bedolla was reached at his winter home in Miami.

“I enjoyed my years with the franchise, but I don’t feel they respected me this last season. I mean, 26 games? And then they cut me loose like some scrub? This sucks,” Bedolla said.

“And I’ll tell ya where Vitale can stick his damn fruit basket …”

Exactly how the Sox propose to fill the holes on their roster isn’t entirely clear yet, but Caleca said there is a plan.

“And it’s not some goofy fog of war Master Plan™ like they keep yammering about in Portland, either. This is a Blueprint™ - and I’m here to tell you it’s a serious plan for a serious team that’s building towards the playoffs.”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”