Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 41.004 "Sox Sign Juan Alfonzo To Extension"

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:06 pm

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer

Chicago Sports Online

The Chicago Black Sox have signed relief pitcher Juan Alfonzo, one of the team’s steadiest performers over the last three years, to a 2-year contract extension.

Alfonzo will earn $2 million this coming season, and $2.5 million in 2042.
Juan Alfonzo
His contract was due to expire following this year, and he was about to enter arbitration. The extension was close to the amount Alfonzo was expected to command in arbitration this season, and tacked on another year at what the Sox hope will be a discount.

“I’m pleased to be staying with the Sox,” Alfonzo said. “This has been a good spot for me.”

Alfonzo, who earned $850,000 last year, had one of his best seasons for the Sox in 2040, pitching largely in middle relief and going 4-4 with 5 saves and a 2.75 ERA in 85 innings. He moved into the closer role late in the season when the Sox waived with Pavel Bure, Jr. after a largely ineffectual year.

“That’s the thing about Juan,” said pitching coach Art Messer. “He’s versatile and he’ll do whatever is required – and do it well.”

Alfonzo came to the Sox in 2036 in a trade with the Long Beach Surfers, and has been a bullpen mainstay ever since. He was the team’s closer for most of 2039 after Justin Archer went down for two months with a shoulder injury.

He’s not worried about which role he’ll fill next season.

“I know there are a couple of guys ahead of me for closer, and that’s fine,” said Alfonzo, 25, of Mobile, AL. “So long as I’m pitching, I don’t care which inning it’s in.”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”