Sox Scoops 41.003 "Of Fruit Baskets And Choose Your Own Sentiment"

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 41.003 "Of Fruit Baskets And Choose Your Own Sentiment"

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:44 pm

[Audio recording of the Harry & David order line at the company headquarters in Medford, OR]

Sales Rep: Hello, Harry & David. Can I help you?

Male Voice: Um, yeah. This is Bill McGuffin with the Chicago Black Sox, and we need to order a few fruit baskets.

Sales Rep: The Black Sox! Well this is neat. Do you know what you’d like to order?

McGuffin: Well, we’re gonna need a few …

Sales Rep: Excellent. I can definitely help you with that. Start wherever you’d like.

Bill McGuffin
McGuffin: OK. Well, I need a retirement gift for a slightly-traumatized, extremely pissed off former manager …

Sales Rep: Oh dear. Traumatized?

McGuffin: Well, this is for Bret Richards … he saw a bug on a table in front of him. He hates bugs … anyway, this one needs to be sorta nice … “There was a cockroach on my conference table" nice, if you’ve got anything like that.”

Sales Rep: Hmmm. Well, this is National Pear Month. You could go with our Royal Riviera Pears Sympathy Basket …

McGuffin: Yeah, that sounds tasteful. How many pears is that?

Sales Rep: That’s 9 pears – but they’re big!

McGuffin: Tell you what, we’ll send him 4 of those. That’ll be enough pears to last him more than a month. If 36 pears won’t help you forget a conference room cockroach, well, we can’t be held responsible for that.

Sales Rep: Yes sir. What else can I help you with?

McGuffin: OK. We got five guys we’re cutting loose in arbitration… we’ll need something to cheer ‘em up.

Sales Rep (clearly casting about for an idea): You mean, like a congratulations basket?

McGuffin: Well, those bastards in Portland would probably say congratulations are in order, but no. This would be more like sympathy …

Sales Rep: Ah. Ok. Well, we have the “Here For You” gift basket …

McGuffin: Uh. No. We’re not gonna be “Here for Them” …

Sales Rep: Well, we have the “Sympathy Gift Tower.”

McGuffin: A tower? That sounds a little, um, grand. I mean, these guys kinda suck, that’s why we’re cutting ‘em loose.

Sales Rep: Well … we have the “So Sorry” gift basket. That includes candy and fruit … …

McGuffin: Huh. Does it actually say “sorry” somewhere?

Sales Rep: Yes! There’s a nice little label on the basket that says “Sorry.”

McGuffin: Yep. Five of those.

Sales Rep: Very good, sir. Anything else?

McGuffin: Yeah, I need one for our new manager … like a “congratulations” basket.

Sales Rep: OK. We have the “Grand Favorites Gift Basket.”

McGuffin: Mmm. Well, he isn’t exactly “grand,” either. He’s cheap, but not “grand.” I mean, he’s still reading up on how to manage, for God’s sake.

Sales Rep: So, you need something he can eat while he’s reading, then?

McGuffin: Exactly. Great idea!

Sales Rep: Well, we’ve got a Snack Basket. No fruit, but popcorn and that kind of thing.

McGuffin: Nah. It’s gotta have fruit. The team owner, Vinnie Vitale, insists on fruit.

Sales Rep: Health nut, huh?

McGuffin: Well, take out the “health” part and you’d have it …

Sales Rep: OK. Well, we’ve got a “Pick Your Own Sentiment” basket – it has cherries, raspberries, and popcorn and the like.

McGuffin: And I can pick the sentiment for the front of the basket?

Sales Rep: Exactly!

McGuffin: How about “Read Faster!”

Sales Rep: Ummm …

McGuffin: No, no. I got it – “Good Luck – You’ll Need It!”

Sales Rep: Ummm …

McGuffin: Fine. Just say “Good Luck”

Sales Rep: Yes sir! Those are very nice gifts.

McGuffin: Well, you know what they say …

Sales Rep: No, what’s that?

McGuffin: A fruit basket is always appropriate …

[Recording Ends]

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”