Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.211: "González Defies Experts, Opts In To Final Contract Years"

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:11 pm

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer

Chicago Sports Online

Luis González confounded the experts this week and decided not to opt out of the final three years of his $13 million-per-season contract.

Luis González
Local baseball analysts had been all-but-certain that González, 30, would try for one last big payday in free agency – especially after a late-season surge at the plate brought his slash line up to a respectable .272/.321/.393.

Those stats, of course, were well off his numbers from 2039, the team’s final season in Huntsville. In the hitting-friendly park in Alabama, he slashed .336/.386/.467, made the All-Star team and snagged the team’s Hitter of the Year award.

Despite the drop-off, his final numbers for 2040 weren’t terrible – especially in Black Sox Park, which proved itself a pitcher’s haven in its first year of competition.

So why not give free agency a shot?

“Well, for one thing, I kind of like it here,” González said. “The clubhouse is great – my teammates are great, and management is … well, goofy, but not malevolent.”

BBA Weekly columnist Malcolm Wilkes offered another opinion, though.

“Well, if you talk to the folks over at the BBA Scouting Consortium, they’ll tell you that González’s skills are starting to slip a little – his fielding was the weak link in that infield last year, even though he shifted over to third,” Wilkes said.

“They dinged his overall rating from a 55 to a 50 mid-season. My guess is that Luis knew that and figured he wouldn’t be able to replicate that $13 million a year in free agency.”

Front office sources said the team was mildly disappointed that González opted to stay put – but only mildly.

“It would have been nice to have another $13 million available for free agency,” the source said. “But Luis is still a productive player, and he’ll definitely be a lineup staple again next season.”

This, of course, was unwelcome news to backup third baseman Victor Bedolla, who expected to step into González’s shoes next season.

“No comment,” Bedolla said when asked about González’s decision.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 40.211: "González Defies Experts, Opts In To Final Contract Years"

Post by jleddy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:38 pm

I ain't buyin' the "mildly" sentiment...
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 40.211: "González Defies Experts, Opts In To Final Contract Years"

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:09 pm

You caught me ... we should have plenty of flexibility in free agency, though. Also, not offering contracts to several of my arbitration guys.

But, damn it Luis. Why couldn’t you be a little greedier?

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:53 pm

He likes the smell of petrochemical refuse as it wafts in from the plants along Little Cal.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:59 pm

This was the day I feared when he was a Blazer, glad I moved on from him.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Oh, believe me, I could do a lot worse than Gonzalez at third (and have - I'm lookin' at you, Bedolla), so a couple of more years won't be hard to swallow. But still ... would have been nice to have another $13 million to play with.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:14 pm

RonCo wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:53 pm
He likes the smell of petrochemical refuse as it wafts in from the plants along Little Cal.
It can be intoxicating!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”