Sox Scoops 40.209: "Of The Motel 6, An Angry Retirement, And An Unexpected Offer"

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.209: "Of The Motel 6, An Angry Retirement, And An Unexpected Offer"

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:27 pm

[MacBook camera video clip]

(The view shows a dingy Motel 6 conference room with a chipped Formica table surrounded by metal folding chairs. A smudged and aged white board – long past white – stands at the front of the room. The Black Sox arbitration-eligible players are listed on the board.

(Around the table sit Sox GM Vic Caleca; Manager Bret Richards; Asst. GM Bill McGuffin; and Bench Coach Ken Jenkins.)

Vic Caleca: So, I think the real question is, do we make an offer to Tim Torres or not?

Bret Richards: (Grumbles something inaudible)

Caleca: Didn’t quite catch that, Bret.

Richards: I said this is bullshit.

Bret Richards
Caleca: Well, we haven’t decided yet on Tim, let’s keep discussing it …

Richards: Not Tim … whatever the hell you decide on him is fine. I don’t care … (gestures around room, where one of the overhead fluorescent lights has started to flicker) … I mean this. All of this.

Caleca: Well, you’re not wrong. But Vinnie’s trying to be frugal with the team’s money.

Richards: You mean our hotshot owner is being a cheap-ass tightwad and he’s showing us no respect.

Caleca (shrugs): Umm ... That would be another way of putting it …

Richards: You know, I’m 71 years old … I’ve made a hell of a good living. I’ve got more than enough to retire on, and I think maybe it’s time.

Caleca: Oh, come on now, Bret. You don’t mean that. The team needs you. I need you.

GM Vic Caleca
Richards (grumbles as the light flickers off, then back on).

Caleca: OK, now. Let’s talk a little about Tim … he did not have the best of years … (he pauses as a cockroach climbs up on the table and starts to skitter across)

Richards: Yeah … that’s it, I think (stands up and swats at the roach with a rolled up wad of papers, but misses).

Caleca: Jesus.

Richards (grabs his jacket off the back of the chair): Gentlemen, it’s been real, but I think I’m calling it a career. I’ve worked for a lot of franchises over the years, but this really takes the cake. A freakin’ Motel 6 …
New Manager Candidate?

Caleca: Aww, Bret. Come on. Don’t do this.

Richards (shrugs on his jacket and moves towards the door): Sorry, Vic. Don’t mean to leave you in the lurch, but enough’s enough. I’ll call H.R. and get the paperwork started … (he opens the conference room door and pauses a moment) … Goodbye, gentlemen and good luck!

Caleca: God, Bret. What are we going to do about a manager?

Richards (laughs): I think it’s pretty obvious … see if the roach’ll do it (walks out).

Caleca (looks down at the table and the cockroach in the middle, sighs, and speaks directly to the insect): You got an agent?

[Video ends]

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sox Scoops 40.209: "Of The Motel 6, An Angry Retirement, And An Unexpected Offer"

Post by RonCo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:51 pm

Richards was at the helm of many YS9 flame outs.Sorry to see him go.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 40.209: "Of The Motel 6, An Angry Retirement, And An Unexpected Offer"

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Yeah, I was sorry to see him go, too ... but I will say, the guy I offered a contract to as Bret's replacement is way cheaper ...

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:46 pm

You pay what you get for.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:21 pm

If the game evaluation is to be believed, he supposedly will have an excellent development influence - and he's one of the few who seems likely to get along with pretty much everyone on the team, including Moelling, who seems to have issues with authority ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”