Sox Scoops 40.207: "Of A Heidi Request, An Errant Mercedes, And Parking In Deep Left"

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.207: "Of A Heidi Request, An Errant Mercedes, And Parking In Deep Left"

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:55 pm

[iPhone XXI audio recording]

(It’s early afternoon and Black Sox GM Vic Caleca is driving north on the Bishop Ford Expressway towards Calumet City in South Side Towing truck CC04. He’s towing a late model Mercedes that had been parked in a Chicago residential district, blocking the driveway of a City Council member. The phone rings, Caleca sees it’s Sox owner Vinnie Vitale and answers using voice command.)

Vic Caleca: Hey Vinnie, what’s up?

Vinnie Vitale: Hey, Vic. You driving?

GM Vic Caleca
Caleca: Yep. Towing a Benz some poor sap parked in front of Councilman Ackerman’s driveway.

Vinnie: Ouch! You taking it to the stadium?

Caleca: Yep – Billy wants it in a secure lot, so … probably somewhere in center field, would be my guess.

Vinnie: See? Am I a genius or what for figuring out how to use Sox Park in the offseason?

Caleca: You’re a regular Stephen Hawking, Vinnie.

Vinnie: Who?

Caleca: Hawking? Brilliant physicist in a wheelchair? No?

Vinnie: A wheelchair? What was wrong with him?

Caleca: He had ALS - Lou Gehrig’s disease …

Vinnie: Huh. Genius. Had a disease named for a Hall of Famer … OK. I take it as a compliment.

Caleca: You had me worried there, Vinnie.

Vinnie: Yeah, yeah. I’m sure. Hey … I want you to call Heidi Hickman for me.

Caleca (gasps): Heidi? Jesus, Vinnie. We didn’t exactly part on the best of terms … She pissed me off and I called her Helga after I fired her. She was not happy.

Vinnie: Yeah. Well, you’d have a better shot at talking to her than me .

Heidi Hickman
Caleca: Charles Manson would have a better shot at talking to her than you, and he’s a dead mass murderer.

Vinnie: My point exactly.

Caleca (sighs): OK, why do you want me to call Heidi?

Vinnie: I need you to ask her a question for me …

Caleca: Yeah? What’s that?

Vinnie: Who’s Kate?

Caleca: Kate? I don’t know anyone named Kate.

Vinnie: No, no. I’m not asking you. That’s what I want you to ask her.

Caleca: Ah. OK. So, what’s the significance of Kate?

Vinnie: A couple of my … associates … talked with a guy named Ron O’Malley, who was driving the truck that dumped the pig shit in the Little Cal … you know, the truck that Heidi got the video of.

Caleca: Yep, yep, yep. The night Mark Simpson re-injured his ankle.

Vinnie: You got it. Anyway, Mr. O’Malley said that a young lady named Kate gave him and the other crew members a lot of cash to dump that manure in the river instead of downstate, where it was supposed to go.

Caleca: You think Heidi knows who that is? Why?

Vinnie: Because someone tipped her off to be there at just the right time and just the right place. I may not be no … what was the guy’s name? Huebler?

Caleca: You mean Hawking?

Vinnie: That’s him. I may not be no Hawthorne, but I can add 2 and 2 and come up with the idea that maybe Kate tipped Heidi to be there.

Caleca: OK. Yeah, you might be on to something there.

Vinnie: See? I am a Stephen Horton …

Caleca: Hawking …

Vinnie: Whoever.

Caleca: The only flaw there is … um … Heidi’s pretty pissed at us still, and she doesn’t owe us anything.

Vinnie: Except that I didn’t sue her ass for leaking confidential team intellectual property to the media.

Caleca: Something tells me that suit wouldn’t have gone real far.

Vinnie: Yeah, but it would have made her life miserable and cost her a pretty penny in hiring an attorney and all that. You might just mention that if she gives you any lip.

Caleca: Whatever. I’ll try her old mobile number and if that doesn’t work, I’ll call the team offices over in Yellow Springs.

Vinnie: Yeah, sounds good.

Caleca: Hey, Vinnie. Could I ask you something now?

Vinnie: Sure. Why not?

Sox owner Vinnie "Stephen Hawthorne ... Hawking" Vitale
Caleca: How come you know Heidi’s name now? You called her Helga Hellscape for a year.

Vinnie: When someone’s a threat to me and mine, I make it a point to know their name. And Heidi’s a threat, make no mistake.

Caleca: Yeah. OK. Well, I’m pulling up to the ballpark, so I gotta figure out where Billy wants me to put the Mercedes.

Vinnie: I got a five-spot that says deep left …

Caleca: You’re on. I say shallow center.

Vinnie: Let me know. And call me after you talk to Heidi.

Caleca: Uh, huh. Hang on ... (Lowers truck window and yells to a South Side employee directing tow truck traffic) Hey, Lenny! Where’s Billy want the Benz to go?

Lenny: Out in left, along the warning track.

Vinnie (who’s still on the line): I knew it! You owe me $5, Caleca!

Caleca: Son of a … you set that up with Billy, didn’t ya?

Vinnie: I don’t know nuthin’ about nuthin’. Maybe Heidi can tell ya!

(Call ends)

Caleca: Damn it. If Mumbai won’t take me back, maybe Beirut needs an assistant GM …

[Recording ends]

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”