Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.179: "Pitcher of the Year: Carolina"

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:16 pm

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer

Chicago Sports Online

The Carolina Flight have named closer Gilberto Sosa as their Pitcher of the Year for the 2040 season.

Carolina is the AAA minor league affiliate for the Chicago Black Sox.

Gilberto Sosa
Sosa was an interesting choice for the honor, given that he didn’t join the Flight until his July 7 promotion from AA Beloit. In his time with the club, though, Sosa definitely made an impression.

He finished the season with a 1-3-16 record. He had a 2.95 ERA, 18 Ks and 8 walks in 23 appearances.

Sosa beat out SP Anastasio Vázquez for the team honor. Vázquez finished the year with a 9-11 record, a 4.78 ERA, 127 Ks, 65 BBs and 2.5 WAR.

“One of the issues here is that this was not an especially … um … gifted pitching staff this year,” said pitching coach Pedro Maldonado. “The thing with Gilberto was, as soon as he walked in the door from AA, you knew this was a guy you could count on.”

Sosa, 21, of Panama, is widely regarded as one of Chicago’s top pitching prospects, with scouts rating him as a 55/80 with 7/11 stuff; 7/7 movement; and 6/7 control.

He entered the Chicago (then Huntsville) system in 2036 as an international amateur free agent, and has been working his way upward since.

The front office has made little secret of the fact that Sosa is the front runner for the closer slot on the Black Sox next season.

“We think Gilberto has what it takes to succeed there, and we will give him every opportunity to develop and thrive,” said Chicago Asst. GM Bill McGuffin. “He hits 100 mph on the radar gun, he’s an extreme groundball pitcher with good movement on his pitches – let’s just say we’re excited about the prospect of Mr. Sosa moving into our bullpen.”

Sosa is looking forward to it, too. In fact, he thinks it’s a bit overdue.

“I know I could have helped them this season,” he said. “They wanted me to get some AAA seasoning, and that’s fine, I guess. But I want to pitch in the majors – I’m ready. Just give me a chance, guys!”

Unless something completely unexpected happens, that chance will arrive next season.

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”