Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.173: "Pitcher of the Year: San Pedro de Macoris"

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:43 am

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer

Chicago Sports Online

The San Pedro de Macoris Green Sox have honored Toyoharu Kodo as their pitcher of the year.

Toyoharu Kodo
San Pedro is the Short Season A-level affiliate of the Chicago Black Sox.

Kodo, a 21-year-old left-hander, had a 5-5 record with a 3.80 ERA and 3.72 FIP for the Green Sox over 16 starts. He struck out 82 and walked 46 while compiling a WAR of 1.9.

“Toyoharu was a consistent performer for us throughout the season,” said Green Sox Manager Gustavo Hernández. “This was a close decision for us, but ultimately we decided to acknowledge Kodo’s fine season.”

Kodo narrowly beat out Paul Kemp, a two-way performer for the Sox who was honored as the team’s Hitter of the Year. Kemp was 9-5 with a 4.08 ERA and 1.4 WAR, but faded towards the end of the season.

“The stress of pitching and playing in the lineup may finally have weighed a bit on Paul, and where that showed was on the pitcher’s mound,” said Hernández.

“That’s not to take away from Kodo’s accomplishments – he was very consistent all year.”

Kodo said he’s looking forward to the next step in his professional career.

“I hope I can play in the prospect league this fall – I think that would be most enjoyable,” he said. “Then next year, I hope to play a full-length schedule for Grand Junction. Enough with this short season crap!”

Kodo, a native of Tokyo, was an international discovery the then-Huntsville Phantoms scouting staff in 2036. He played for Monclova, in the Rookie League, in 2038, going 1-5 with a 3.05 ERA, and then played for San Pedro in 2039, going 2-4 with a 6.71 ERA.

This past season was widely regarded as a make-or-break year for Kodo – and, clearly, he broke through.

“I don’t know that he’s a major league prospect, ultimately,” said Chicago Asst. GM Bill McGuffin. “But he’s clearly earned himself another look. We’ll be interested to see where Kodo’s career goes from here.”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”