Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.172: "Hitter of the Year: San Pedro de Macoris"

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:02 pm

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer

Chicago Sports Online

The San Pedro de Macoris Green Sox have named OF/DH Paul Kemp as their hitter of the year for 2040.
Paul Kemp

San Pedro is the Short Season Class A affiliate of the Chicago Black Sox.

Kemp – who is a bona fide two-way play – slashed .388/.449/.669 last season, with 10 home runs, 35 RBIs and 3.0 war. He started just 46 games as a lineup player because the team gave him several days off after each pitching appearance to spare his arm.

As a pitcher, Kemp started 15 games with a 9-5 record, a 4.08 ERA, 61 Ks, and 24 walks. He compiled 1.4 WAR as a pitcher.

“Paul is an unusual talent,” said Green Sox hitting coach Juan Alou. “He is an excellent hitter with a real power stroke, and a damn good pitcher, too.

“But this was a breakout year for him as a professional hitter. If he can keep this up, the sky’s the limit.”

Kemp – who was selected in the second round of the 2039 amateur draft – beat out another talented hitter for the team’s post-season batting award: LF Robby Clements, who slashed .314/.374/.565 with 14 homers, 48 RBIs, and 2.0 WAR.

Both players likely will play in the Florida Prospect League, although Kemp likely will be limited to a hitting role.

“We don’t want to wear the guy out,” said Chicago Asst. GM Bill McGuffin.

Kemp, however, didn’t seem too concerned about that.

“I just like to play,” said the 19-year-old right-hander from Stone Park, IL. “When I get tired, I’ll let you know!”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”