Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.128: "Top Draft Pick Shows Flashes of Talent in Shutout"

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:31 pm

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer

Chicago Sports Online

Monclova, Mexico - It took awhile for Romeu Tameiro to get untracked.

But on July 26, Chicago’s first-round draft pick finally showed off some of the talent that scouts knew was there as he threw a 2-hit complete game shutout to propel his Rookie League team to a 3-0 win.

Romeu Tameiro
“It was a huge relief,” Tameiro said after the game, which saw his Monclova Aqua Sox down the Berkeley Golden Bears. “It has been a hard season – so difficult to find my … groove.”

He seemed to be closing in on it in his most recent start, though.

Tameiro allowed a double in the 2nd and a single in the 9th – and that’s it. The Brazilian right-hander walked no one and struck out 8 over 9 innings as he notched just his third win of the season.

Dominant as he seemed, though, Tameiro still didn’t feel he had his best stuff.

“I didn’t really feel like I had my game today,” he told reporters after the win. “But some days are like that – you just gotta go with what you have.”

On the season now, the 18-year-old Tameiro is 3-8 with an ERA of 4.24, with 54 strikeouts and 16 walks. His FIP is a respectable 3.03, however, and he has compiled 1.6 WAR so far.

“We’re not worried about Romeu,” said Monclova Manager Elliott Bilodeau. “Pitching pro ball is not easy, no matter what level you’re at. He’s shown flashes of what he can do – and even in the rough patches, his talent has been obvious.”

Scouts grade his overall talent and potential as 20/55, and say he “demonstrates sound pitching fundamentals and projects to be a mid-rotation starter” in the majors.

If, indeed, that’s how his career unfolds, the Sox will be more than satisfied.

“We think he can fill a vital role for us down the road – that’s why we drafted him and why we made a full-court press to sign him,” said Assistant GM Bill McGuffin. “Nothing we’ve seen so far has changed our mind.”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”