Sox Scoops 40.77: "Short A Pitching Prospect Fires No-Hitter In Season Debut"

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.77: "Short A Pitching Prospect Fires No-Hitter In Season Debut"

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:44 am

A lightly-regarded starting pitcher prospect for Chicago’s Short Season-A affiliate threw a no-hitter in his season debut on May 30.

Tsurayaki Saito, an international free agency find in 2036, threw 9 innings of shutout, no-hit ball against the Adirondack Beavers (Charlotte) as he led the San Pedro De Macoris Green Sox to an 8-0 victory.

Tsurayaki Saito
Saito allowed no hits, no runs and 1 walk while striking out 7 en route to his gem.

The sole blemish on his evening came when he walked Beavers third baseman Davis Ewing, the second batter in the top of the 7th. Saito went to 3-0 on Davis, then got two strikes, but missed low and away with a fastball to walk him. Ewing was quickly erased on a fielder’s choice, and Saito got the third out of the inning by striking out first baseman Pat Crum.

Saito said little after the game, but acknowledged that he’d been acutely aware of his developing no-hitter from the 6th inning on.

“No one was talking to me in the dugout, but I could read the scoreboard like everyone else,” Saito said. “It was very exciting, but I breathed a huge sigh of relief when we got that final out.”

Green Sox Manager Gustavo Hernández said the pitching gem reflects The Blueprint™ the team is trying to follow this season, emphasizing pitching and defense.

Mostly, though, he was excited for his young pitcher.

“He mixed his pitches well and hit his spots, plus he got a little help from above,” Hernández told BNN. “Tsurayaki really took it to another level today.”

Scouts have been fairly dismissive of Saito’s potential, grading him only as a 20/20 prospect with 3/3 stuff, 2/2 movement, and 5/5 control. His rookie season in 2038, with San Pedro, was fairly lackluster: 2-3, 4.14 ERA, 12 walks and 24 Ks. Last season, he was 2-8 with the Green Sox with a 4.56 ERA, 30 walks and 42 Ks.

This season is widely regarded as a last hurrah for the 20-year-old – but he appears determined to make the most of it.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 40.77: "Short A Pitching Prospect Fires No-Hitter In Season Debut"

Post by jleddy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:58 am

A no-hitter AND that glorious mustache? Saito has got it goin' on!
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”