Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.46: "Sox To Induct Franco Into Hall of Honor"

Post by HoosierVic » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:46 pm

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The Chicago Black Sox will induct Braggo Franco, one of the greatest pitchers in franchise history, into its team Hall of Honor during the coming week’s homestand against Twin Cities.

Franco pitched for the Sox from 1978 to 1989, posting a record of 146-107 during that span, with an ERA of 3.21 over 2,532 innings pitched. He struck out 2,219 batters and walked 582 during his Black Sox career.

“We can think of no better way to welcome the team back to Chicago than by inducting Braggo into our Hall of Honor,” said team GM Vic Caleca. “His 1983 Nebraska Award, of course, was a high point in his career with the Sox, but just one of many.”

In his Nebraska-winning season, Franco went 18-8 with an ERA of 2.05, while striking out 191 batters over the course of 237 innings pitched. He ranks 5th on the team in all-time ERA, 3rd in wins, and 1st in pitching WAR.

Franco, now almost 85, will appear at a special banquet in his honor and will attend Sunday evening’s game against Twin Cities as a guest of Sox owner Vinnie Vitale.

“Braggo was one of my favorite players growing up and, other than myself, I can’t think anyone I’d rather have enshrined in our new hall,” Vitale joked (we think).

The Sox are in the process of moving its Hall of Honor from Huntsville, AL, where the team played for the past 20 seasons after moving there from Chicago in 2021. Vitale bought the team in late 2038 and brought the Sox back to Chicago early this year.

Vitale has built a new Hall of Honor for the team on property adjacent to Black Sox Park in Calumet City, a southern suburb of Chicago. Officials hope to have most of the displays moved from Huntsville and installed by the time of Franco’s induction.

“It’s a challenging timeline, but we’re confident we’ll make it,” Caleca said. “If Vinnie says he wants it up and going by the weekend, then by God, it’ll be up and running by the weekend.”

Franco, reached by telephone in his Oregon home, said he was gratified and flattered to be inducted into the Hall of Honor – and especially thrilled to see the team back in Chicago.

“It never should have left,” he said. “The Black Sox and Chicago go together, like pizza and beer, Starsky and Hutch, Capone and St. Valentine’s Day.

“It’ll be a great to be back. I’m looking forward to an Italian beef at Portillo’s, and a Sox victory!”

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 40.46: "Sox To Induct Franco Into Hall of Honor"

Post by jleddy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:26 am

Wait...a story involving Vinnie in which he comes off, dare I say, professional and competent?
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”