Sox Scoops 40.013 "Of Free Agency And Loaded Fries"

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.013 "Of Free Agency And Loaded Fries"

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:22 pm

[iPhone XXI recording]

(Black Sox General Manager and part-time South Side Towing driver Vic Caleca is seated in a booth at Schoop’s Hamburgers in Calumet City shortly after 7 p.m., with his tow truck parked outside. His iPhone rings, he sees it’s Sox owner Vinnie Vitale, and answers the call.)

Vic Caleca: Hey, Vinnie.

Vinnie Vitale: Hey, Vic. Say, Billy told me you had a driving shift tonight. Am I gettin’ you at a bad time?

Caleca: Nah. I’m finishing up dinner at Schoop’s. What’s up?

Vinnie: Hey, Schoop’s is awesome. You get the loaded fries?

Caleca: Just the regular. The loaded are a heart attack waiting to happen.

Vinnie: Yeah, but what a way to go.

Caleca (laughs): You trying to tell me something, Vinnie?

Vinnie: Course not, course not. You’re like a brother to me. A no ‘count ex-con brother, but still.

Caleca: Oh yeah, I’m feelin’ the love.

François 'Frank' Mangin
Vinnie: Course you are! Hey, tell me about this free agent pitcher you failed to wrap up.

Caleca: Mauro Flores? Yeah, he signed with Edmonton. We made a good offer, but not quite that good.

Vinnie: You were tellin’ me this guy could make a difference for us, though.

Caleca: Well, yeah. He’s pretty good, but he ended up signing for north of $14.5 million per, and that’s a little richer than we wanted to go. I’m trying to steward your money, Vinnie.

Vinnie: And don’t think I don’t appreciate it, Vic!

Caleca: Enough to take me off tow truck duty?

Vinnie: Let’s not get crazy here. So, what’s the plan now? We still going after pitching?

Caleca: I don’t think so. None of the starters left are doing much for me, and you know we’ve got François Mangin in Carolina.

Vinnie: He didn’t do so good in Huntsville, though.

Caleca: Well, I don’t think that stadium did him any favors. I think he’s worth a good solid look in the new park - plus he did pretty well with another season in AAA.

Vinnie: Any chance he'd consider going with Frank as the first name?

Caleca: What the hell is it with you and names? No, we're not going to call him Frank. That's not his name.

Vinnie: All right, all right. No need to get testy.

Caleca: You're makin' me nuts with the name thing ... Hey, one other interesting thing I wanted to mention, Vinnie …

Vinnie: Yeah, what’s that?

Caleca: The scouts are telling me that Luis Gonzáles seems to have developed some with his off-season workout. They’re grading him out at a 65 overall now.

Luis Gonzáles
Vinnie: And that’s good? Anyway, the last report you showed me on him had him in the 50s, I thought.

Caleca: Yeah, that's true. That's what they were grading him as a starter, which we experimented with at the end of the year. But they give him quite a bump as a reliever. In fact, Bret … Bret Richards, the manager …

Vinnie: I know who Bret Richards is, Caleca.

Caleca: Just making sure there, Vinnie …

Vinnie: He’s got one ‘t’ in Bret. What’s up with that?

Caleca (sighs): For God's sake, Vinnie. Focus ... Anyway, Bret wants to try Gonzáles in the closer role instead of Archer.

Vinnie: Well, whatever. Both of those guys sucked last year … he sure about this?

Caleca: He wants to kick the tires on it.

Vinnie: OK. He’s the baseball brain … supposedly. Speakin’ of tires, your break must be about over, ain’t it?

Caleca: Yep. Just about. (Signals waitress for the check.)

Vinnie: Well, keep me in the loop, OK? You trying for offense in free agency now?

Caleca: There’s one guy I’m gonna put an offer to, and if that doesn’t pan out, we might just look for a couple more minor league types and save your cash.

Vinnie: Saving my cash. I kinda like the sounds of that …

Caleca: Don’t get too excited. I still might spend a boatload – you never know.

Vinnie: I’ve got Billy’s phone number, you know. We can make those back-to-back-to-back overnights cruising the Dan Ryan if you want.

Caleca (Scoffs): Like you haven’t done that aleady. Gotta go, Vinnie. There’s Beemers and Benzes out there just waitin’ to be hooked.

Vinnie: Go get ‘em, slugger.

[Call and recording end]

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: Sox Scoops 40.013 "Of Free Agency And Loaded Fries"

Post by shoeless.db » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Why do I both love and hate Vinnie at the same time?
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:14 pm

He's a complex cat, is our Vinnie. Many layers to him - like an onion, or a sanitary landfill ...

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Vinnie is one part Louie De Palma and one part Charlie O. Finley.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Given that Vinnie's other business is hazardous waste disposal, you just worry about what might be under the visitor's clubhouse in that new stadium ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”