Huntsville Headlines 39.052: About That Stadium ...

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Huntsville Headlines 39.052: About That Stadium ...

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:56 pm

[Footage from team owner Vinnie Vitale’s office video capture system]

The video opens with a view of Vitale’s office inside the team’s offices at the Opera House, filled with packed boxes and empty spots on the walls where pictures had been hanging. A knock comes at the office door …

Voice: Vinnie?

Vitale: Yeah, yeah. Come in Vic.

GM Vic Caleca: (Enters the office, looks around at all the packing boxes, moves some papers off a chair in front of Vinnie’s desk and sits down). Hey, looks like you’re about ready to go.

Caleca
Vitale: Yeah, well, no sense in sitting around. Besides, I’ve moved up the departure date by a couple of weeks.

Caleca: Wait … you have?

Vitale: Yeah. You remember hearing about Robert Irsay who owned the Baltimore Colts – the football team - back in the day?

Caleca: Yeah, sure.

Vitale: Well, when he moved the team to Indianapolis, he did it a few days early – brought all the moving vans in early and left in the middle of the night. All those frickin’ fans who wanted to protest and block the move didn’t know what hit ‘em.

Caleca: So, that’s what we’re doing?

Vitale: Taking a page right out of the Irsay play book.

Caleca: Well, hell, I better get packed.

Vitale: Yep. That all? (Takes a sip of coffee from a Chicago Black Sox mug near his elbow)

Caleca: Well, no, Vinnie. Mr. Vitale … I saw your press conference up in Chicago about the new ballpark and saw the dimensions and everything …

Vitale: Yeah. Those new outfields are going to be outstanding. We’ll be able to get as many cars in there as we do in our Dolton lot.

Caleca: Ok. Great. About that … well, two things, really. You said the park would be used as an impound lot starting in October …

Vitale: Yeah, so …

Caleca: Well, what if we’re in the postseason? Those games are played in October.

Vitale: (Spits out his coffee on his desk blotter, starts mopping it up with a Kleenex). Jesus, Caleca, don’t make me do that. The postseason? (Laughs again.) Son, we ain’t going to the postseason.

Caleca: Well, not next year probably, or the year after – but soon!

Vitale: That’s cute, Vic. OK, you let me know when we (mimes exaggerated air quotes) “make the postseason” and I’ll make other arrangements for the cars. (Shakes his head in disbelief). OK, you had another point?

Caleca: Well, yeah. See, those dimensions …

Vitale: Yeah – that park is gonna be a thing of beauty!

Vitale
Caleca: But, see, the thing is, our roster isn’t built for that kind of park. And our minor league system is stocked up with players who could take advantage of the Opera House, but not a pitchers’ park like that.

Vitale: Well, unstock ‘em. Get a new roster. Sign a free agent, or draft some kids or sign some of them foreign fellas …

Caleca: The international free agents?

Vitale: Yeah, whatever. But one thing, Caleca.

Caleca: What’s that?

Vitale: No trades. This is a no trade zone. Period. Nada.

Caleca: But, Vinnie …

Vitale: No buts. You got about as much business makin’ trades as my grand mama, and she died back in ’29.

Caleca: But Vinnie …

Vitale: In fact … since you ain’t gonna be tradin’ – AIN’T! Capiche?

Caleca: (Sighs) Capiche, Vinnie.

Vitale: Excellent. As I was sayin’, since you’ll have a little extra time on your hands over the offseason, what with the not tradin’ and everything, I’ve got a little moonlighting opportunity for you.

Caleca: (Warily) Yeah?

Vitale: Have you ever driven a towing rig, Vic? No? Well don’t matter. I’ll give you the number for Billy over at South Side. When we get up to Cal City, give him a call and he’ll hook you up with one of our training classes.

Caleca: But Vinnie …

Vitale: Unless you’d rather stay here in Hicksville …

Caleca: Huntsville …

Vitale: Yeah, that’s what I said. Don’t worry, I’ll get you Billy’s number. Now go on back to your office and get packed. We gotta get ready to pull an Irsay!

Caleca: (Stands up, gives a half-hearted wave to Vitale and walks towards the door muttering to himself): Roll frickin’ Tide …

Vitale: What’s that?

Caleca: Have a nice day!

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Huntsville Headlines 39.052: About That Stadium ...

Post by jleddy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:15 pm

HoosierVic wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:56 pm
or sign some of them foreign fellas …
Classic Vroom Vroom!!
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Don’t you dare back out of that trade we talked about. I need that career minor leaguer to fill out my AA roster.
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 pm

You’ll have to take it up with Vic. He’ll be in his tow truck somewhere on I-94 ...

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:26 am

Heh... this is fun.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”