Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Huntsville Headlines 39.017: Archer's Journal

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:19 am

By Justin Archer
Special to BBA Weekly

April 22

So, Juan Martinez went in last week and told our GM that he’s retiring at the end of the season.

He’s the kind of guy the average fan doesn’t pay a lot of attention to: not a Steve Nebraska winner; not a flashy closer with a billion saves; doesn’t make headlines with bullshit pronouncements.

Juan just does his job. Some years are better than others, but he’s always, always, always a pro.

He’s from the Dominican Republic and was telling me the other night out in the ‘pen that he can’t remember a time when he wasn’t playing ball. In the streets, in school yards … wherever there was space to lay out basepaths, he and his buddies played.

At some point, he figured out that he could throw the ball a hell of a lot harder than any of the other kids he played with, and so he started pitching … and the rest is history, as they say.

Juan Martinez
Except most of that history, no one will know. I mean, you can look up his stats and see he’s started and relieved, played for Valencia and Long Beach, Phoenix and Huntsville, of course.

But you won’t know that he’s one of the best listeners I’ve ever known. That when I was scared and frustrated this year because I got hammered in a few outings, Juan took me to the back of the clubhouse and talked me off the ledge.

And you won’t know that the next day he watched me throw and pointed out that I’d developed a “tell” that telegraphed when I was going to throw my slider – I’d rotate the ball a couple of times in my hand, and batters had picked up on it.

Juan didn’t have to do that. I mean, I'm nothing special to him, and I can't do anything for him. I mean, I can't give him a raise or get him a job or anything like that. Why should he take that kind of time to help someone like me?

I'll tell you why. Because that's how he is: he wants to help younger players. He wants to help people – he does so much volunteer work in the community and he goes back to the DR every offseason and works with young kids who want to follow in his footsteps.

So when people shrug and say it doesn’t matter when someone like Juan Martinez retires because he’s not going into the Hall of Fame or whatever, I set ‘em straight.

He might not get into the Brewster Hall of Fame as a player.

But he gets into the Justin Archer Hall of Fame as a person.

And that’s more important.

Enjoy your last season, Juan. Your teammates will miss the hell out of you when you’re gone.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Huntsville Headlines 39.017: Archer's Journal

Post by jleddy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:33 am

Nice tribute. I wonder if there's a future in coaching for Martinez, especially in Huntsville or one of their minor league clubs.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Have you been reading my diary, again?

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:59 pm

I have some bad coaches in the minors- figured he might be someone to convert after the season.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Justin is just a softie for anyone who will help him make a few $million.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”