HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Huntsville Headlines 39.009: Archer's Journal

Post by HoosierVic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:19 pm

By Justin Archer
Special to BBA Weekly
Feb. 25, 2039

What were they thinking?

For reasons known only to the baseball gods and the pharmacologists supplying mood enhancers to the marketing department at BBA Weekly, the editors of that fine publication have asked me to a keep an online journal of my 2039 season.

I told them this might appeal to two groups of people: Huntsville fans (all four of ‘em) and insomniacs.

Even with that, I couldn’t talk them out of it, so here we are.

Where, you might be wondering, is that exactly?

I don’t know where you are, but where I am is Spring Training, which opens today. Right now, I’m sitting on the edge of my bed at the Embassy Suites in downtown Sarasota, Florida, where Huntsville has its Spring Training complex.

It’s pretty sweet (see what I did there?). We’ve got a view of Sarasota Bay, the historic district with all its restaurants and bars is right next door, and St. Armand’s Circle (with even more restaurants and bars) is out on the key and a cheap Uber away.

So, anyway, our first game is this afternoon against San Antonio, over at their place. In Bradenton? Naples? I don’t know exactly. I get on the bus, I show up, I throw. Beats workin’.

By now, you’re probably wondering, “Who the hell is this guy?”

Good question.

My name is Justin Archer. I’m 23 years old, and I’m a relief pitcher for the Huntsville Phantoms.

Justin Archer
My family is from Mobile, AL, so it’s kinda cool to pitch in Huntsville – my mom and dad and my brothers (Duane and Neil) and sister (Amy) come up to the games pretty often.

I’ve played baseball most of my life, it seems. The baseball gods gave me a howitzer for a right arm, and I’ve always been able to throw hard. Freaked ‘em out in Little League, I’ll tell ya.

The scouts will tell you I’ve got what they call great “stuff,” and I’ve never figured out what that means – except I throw good. They also say my pitches have great movement, which I can figure out better. My control? Not that great – which is OK. Batters know better than to get too comfortable at the plate with me.

I’ve got two pitches: a wicked fastball, and a slider that wants to be wicked but isn’t quite, yet. I’m workin’ on it. The radar gun says I top out between 95 and 97 mph, which isn’t the fastest in the league, but still gets their attention when they step in against me.

So, anyway, there’s the setup. You know who I am, you know where I am, maybe you’re wondering what I’ll be doing. Besides pitching, I mean.

Yeah, me too.

Well, I’ll be pulling back the curtain to give you a glimpse at what it’s like to play in the BBA. I’ll take you inside the clubhouse, out into the bullpen, into the dugout, and out on the field with me. You’ll meet my teammates and coaches, you’ll visit the stadiums around the Johnson League, and you’ll read about a lot of baseball.
Frits Brinson

If that sounds good to you, hop on in, and buckle up.

Should be a wild ride!

For now, I’ve gotta get dressed and figure out where my roomie got to (I’m rooming with Frits Brinson, another reliever). Then we’ll grab some breakfast and head down to the team bus.

It may only be Spring Training, but it’s game day, baby. Let’s play two!

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Huntsville Headlines 39.009: Archer's Journal

Post by jleddy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Great concept! I’ll be sure to follow along all year.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:03 pm

His dad is a Hall of Famer!

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Frits Brinson looks like he fell asleep in a tanning bed.

Back on the subject. Good story. I will be following. Always a big fan of both Archers.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:52 am

Sarasota's an interesting place. Good beach as I recall.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”