HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Huntsville Headlines 39.008 "Comings and Goings"

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:14 pm

Huntsville Times Report
Jan. 1, 2039

Phantoms Comings and Goings

Trade with Crusaders brings in catching prospect, outfielder
Huntsville made a rare trade last month, sending minor league right fielder Luis González to California for a pair of young prospects: catcher Spencer Hillson and center fielder André Ly.

Hillson
Although scouts grade González’s offensive potential highly (6/9/8/6/5) and a 55 overall, the Phantoms’ minor league system has a fair number of corner outfield prospects, making his path to the majors less than certain.

What Huntsville does not have, though, are a surplus of talented catching prospects, which analysts say was the impetus for the trade.

Hillson, 19, assigned to the Phantoms’ Short A affiliate in San Pedro de Macoris, grades out with 6/7/6/6/5 potential at the plate, a 7 in catcher ability and a 7 arm rating. Scouts put his overall rating at 50.

“Hillson immediately jumps to the head of the pack of catching prospects in the Huntsville system,” said Murray Pope, minor league analyst for BBA Weekly. “He’s not Hall of Fame material or anything, but if he develops as projected, he’ll be a respectable major league catcher.”
André Ly

Also included in the deal was 19-year-old Ly, who scouts grade at 6/8/4/6/6 potential, with outfield defensive ratings of 8 range, 6 error, and 11 arm. His overall rating is a 45.

Ly’s prospects are less certain than Hillson's, but his defensive range and cannon arm are attractive attributes.

“Even if he doesn’t make the majors, he’ll be a valuable organization player,” Pope said. "And the majors are not out of the question.

“Without a doubt, California got a decent young prospect in the deal, but Huntsville did, too,” Pope said. "Not an earth shattering deal, but one that could bear fruit for both sides."

Rule 5 Draft nets two pitchers
Huntsville took a flyer on two relief pitchers in the recent Rule 5 draft, looking to bolster a bullpen that all-too-frequently struggled in 2038.

Alabama-bound are Ángel Díaz, taken from Jacksonville’s AAA affiliate in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, and Celestino Balazes, taken from Wichita’s AAA affiliate in Albuquerque, NM.

Both pitchers rate strongly in skill sets valued by the Huntsville brass: pitch movement, control, and the ability to induce ground balls.
Balazes
Díaz

“The idea,” said Asst. GM John Pruitt, “is to minimize fly balls and home runs, given that we play in a home park with cozy dimensions – especially in right field.”

Díaz, 22, grades out at 6/6/7 potential, with a 7-rated sinker and a curveball with a 9 potential. His overall potential grade, according to Huntsville’s scouting department, is a 50.

Balazes, 36, meanwhile, grades out at 3/7/8, with his best pitch a 6-rated cutter. His overall grade is a 35.

“They’re both gambles, clearly,” said Malcolm Wilkes, Johnson League columnist for BBA Weekly. “But who knows? The Opera House is a funky stadium – maybe those guys can succeed there. Or maybe they’re both released back to their original teams by May 1. That second scenario is the most likely, I’d guess, but we’ll see.”

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Huntsville Headlines 39.008 "Comings and Goings"

Post by jleddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Hillson and Ly's facial hair game is well beyond their years.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:57 pm

I did not like letting Ly go, but there's no way I could protect him from expansion, and Gonzales isn't eligible. I'm getting a bit sick of mediocre D corner OF's, so if Gonzales looks like a player anyone likes, let me know. (He says, subverting Huntsville's TN.)
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:18 pm

It’s oK, Ted. I was just trying to be nice (he said, subverting the subversion...)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”