Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Huntsville Headlines 39.004: Phantoms sold to Chicago towing magnate

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 am

By Beauregard Sawyer IV
The Huntsville Times
2038-11-17

The Huntsville Phantoms have been sold to a Chicago-area tow truck and hazardous waste management magnate who promises to bring new life and resources to the franchise.

Vinnie Vitale, who sometimes goes by the nickname “Vroom Vroom,” assumed control of the franchise late last week. The purchase price was undisclosed, but is rumored to be somewhere north of $1.3 billion.

“Let’s just say it was a pretty penny and leave it at that, OK?” Vitale said at an introductory news conference Tuesday afternoon at The Opera House ballpark.

The team had been under the ownership of Mike Voelker, chairman of a Huntsville-based electronics manufacturing company, since moving to Huntsville in 2021.Voelker's company has been struggling of late, and he apparently jumped at the chance to sell the Phantoms, which also lost money last season.

"Let's just say the negotiations went smoothly," Vitale said.

He said he grew up a fan of the Chicago Black Sox and used to attend games with his father, who'd also been a fan.

“So let me tell you, it’s a thrill to own the Sox – the team I loved as a little guy,” Vitale said.

Reminded that the team hasn’t been known as The Black Sox for nearly 20 years, Vitale just grinned. “True, true,” he said. “For now, that’s very true.”

Vitale’s background and enthusiasm for the Phantoms’ precursor have raised fears locally that he may be intent on moving the team back to Illinois at some point.

“Who knows what one of them carpet-bagging Yankees might do?” groused Eddie Whitsall, owner of the Phantoms Lounge, a watering hole for fans less than two blocks from the stadium. “Tell you what, if that fella does anything to our team, he’s gonna find out what a bunch of God-fearing Alabama NRA members can do.”

Vitale tried to calm fears on that front, but may have made things worse when asked if he had plans to move the team.

“As you know, the BBA is about to expand, and there’s a moratorium on franchise moves for at least two years – so I couldn’t move the team even if I already owned a choice piece of property near an interstate exit in a south Chicago suburb. You guys worry too much.”

The reference to a Chicago suburb may have been to Calumet City, where Vitale owns and operates South Side Towing, which has lucrative contracts with the City of Chicago, a number of suburbs, and numerous private businesses.

South Side emerged as the Chicago area’s largest towing firm – specializing in the removal of illegally parked vehicles – after acquiring Lincoln Towing in 2023. Lincoln was notorious for its underhanded towing tactics, and was immortalized in the song “Lincoln Park Pirates” by folk singer Steve Goodman.

Vitale’s firm has picked up the mantle, generating headlines when it towed an SUV owned by a Republican candidate for Chicago mayor while it was parked outside a campaign rally. When the candidate emerged, the South Side truck sped off with his vehicle in tow, spawning headlines and earning Vitale his “Vroom Vroom” nickname.

In recent years, Vitale has grown his fortune through a series of canny investments in hazardous waste disposal companies – moving him into the top 20 of Forbes Magazine’s annual list of wealthy Americans.

During his news conference Tuesday, Vitale made no apologies for his businesses or his money.

“They are all 100 percent legit,” he declared. “I was vetted thoroughly by the BBA before they approved my bid for the team, and that’s all I have to say about that.

“Except this: that Republican bastard had it coming. His SUV was double parked outside the convention center, and he’d been threatening me for weeks that he was gonna ‘look into’ the city towing contracts.

“Well, how about this buddy: look into your SUV in my impound lot.”

Although he works out of offices in Calumet City, Vitale actually lives in a lavish mansion in the posh Chicago suburb of River Forest, known for many architecturally significant houses and buildings and as the home of Tony "Big Tuna" Accardo, the late mob boss.

"Do not try to suggest that I have anything in common with the Tuna," Vitale said, wagging his finger at a reporter who asked about his choice of home towns. "River Forest is a great place to live, and it's 100 percent legit. Just like me."

Asked if he had any thoughts on the Phantoms going forward, Vitale visibly warmed to the subject.

“Thoughts? I've got a million thoughts about my team. But it boils down to this, capeesh? We’ll get good ballplayers, we’ll win games, and we’ll acquire more property near that interstate exit. It’s all gonna be good. We are gonna make this team worthy of the Black Sox name and logo.”

You mean Phantoms, one reporter corrected, don’t you?

“Sure,” Vitale answered. “Isn’t that what I said?”

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Huntsville Headlines 39.004: Phantoms sold to Chicago towing magnate

Post by RonCo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 am

A lot to unpack here. :)

Gotta love a guy named "Vroom Vroom," though.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Huntsville Headlines 39.004: Phantoms sold to Chicago towing magnate

Post by HoosierVic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:49 am

Don’t mention packing or unpacking. Makes the locals nervous.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”