Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Huntsville Headlines 39.001: Barrera exits

Post by HoosierVic » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:17 pm

By Beauregard Sawyer IV
The Huntsville Times
2038-11-11

As the Huntsville front office feared (or hoped), catcher Luis Barrera told the team he will opt out of the final three years of his contract, which would have paid him $15 million annually, and enter free agency.

“I have enjoyed my years here in Huntsville, but I must do what is best for me and my family,” Barrera said. “Plus, we are concerned by the trajectory of the organization, and feel it would be best to go to a team more firmly committed to winning baseball.”

Barrera opts out
Asked what he meant by that, Barrera said he worried that new general manager Vic Caleca did not seem to have a handle on his job yet, and there was worrisome talk that team owner Mike Voelker had slashed the team’s budget for the coming year.

Caleca seemed bemused by the comments.

“First of all, I’m not sure what trajectory even means, so whatever you say, Luis. Second of all, I’m sorry Mr. Barrera doesn’t like how I do my job, given his extensive experience in baseball management … oh, wait, I forgot. He doesn’t have any,” Caleca said. “So I should worry about his opinion, why again?”

Caleca declined comment on whether the team’s budget had been reduced, but said that he will happily work with whatever numbers Voelker gives him.

“I’m sure we will have what we need to get the job done,” Caleca said.

Still, there were whispers coming out of the Phantoms’ front office after the season that Caleca and others were worried about the size of the payroll and were hoping Barrera would opt out and give the team some breathing room.

Although Barrera has for years been considered on the better catchers in the BBA, his production fell off markedly this past season as he slashed .248/.322/.470 with 28 homers, 76 RBIs, and 2.8 WAR.

“I don’t think Caleca wanted to pay $15 million a year for that kind of stat line,” one source said.

With Barrera out the door, the catching duties likely will fall to rookie Diesel Dave and veteran Sergio Hernandez.

Barrera will not be alone in seeking free agency this offseason. As reported last week, infielder Leyli Yelanian and outfielder Adrian Young have told the team they are not interested in contract extensions and will leave Huntsville.

If, indeed, Caleca was looking for payroll relief, those two departures will grant him more: Yelanian made $7.2 million last season, and Young earned $4.8 million.

Suddenly, a team with a payroll of $108.3 million and brushing up against the $110 million BBA salary cap has dropped below $90 million.

“I think that has everyone upstairs breathing a little easier,” the front office source said. “You hate like hell to have lots of salary tied up with people who aren’t really earning their keep … and now we don’t. We’ll take some PR hits and the fans, especially won’t like that Barrera is leaving, but we’ll weather that. Better some bruised fan feelings than a budget deficit."

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Huntsville Headlines 38.027: Barrera exits

Post by RonCo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:28 pm

You can number this one 39.001... and yes, I like the three digit optimism.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Huntsville Headlines 38.027: Barrera exits

Post by HoosierVic » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:37 pm

RonCo wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:28 pm
You can number this one 39.001... and yes, I like the three digit optimism.
Ah - excellent point. Fixed.

I'm hatching a little plan for a recurring feature during the season that should make 3 digits easily reachable ... and, no, it's not a daily listing of who's leaving the team, smart guy ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”