GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Huntsville Headlines 38.023: Addition by subtraction

Post by HoosierVic » Wed May 29, 2019 4:26 pm

[Recording Starts]

This is GM Voice Memo number 3.

Well, I did it. The season ended, and I called that little a-hole (Mutsuhito) Imai into my office and told him I was putting his ass on waivers and to get the hell out of the facility.
I mean, I have never seen anyone rip a clubhouse apart like that guy – almost to a man, our players said they couldn’t stomach playing with him. In fact, Nicto wouldn’t even discuss extending his contract here while Imai was on the team.

Can’t have that. Just can’t.

I mean, Imai is a decent enough pitcher – his ratings are very good (8-8-5), and his stats were pretty good (3.93 FIP, 0.9 WAR, 4.03 ERA). But he ain’t as valuable to me as Juan Nicto, for God’s sake. And the clubhouse morale was only a tick or two higher than the engine room of the Titanic.

So, out you go, Mutsuhito.

My assistant GM wondered why I didn’t just try to trade him, but I don’t like to do business that way. And, to tell you the truth, I didn’t want him on the roster a minute longer than he had to be.

If no one claims him, I’ll shove his ass so deep in the minors he’ll wonder if he’ll ever see light again.

Was it a stupid move? Maybe. But I’ll tell you what: Nicto finally talked extension when he heard Imai was on his way out. And this morning I got Juan's signature on a one-year contract (my favorite kind) for $8.7 million.
Imai: Waiver bound
I suppose it’s possible Nicto eventually would have signed if we hadn't done something about Imai, but I doubt it. We need to be careful about who we bring in here going forward – not just on the talent end, but on character, too.

Lord knows there were enough warning signs on Mutsuhito: his psych profile rates him low on leadership, loyalty, work ethic and intelligence, and rates him high on greed. Lovely. The little blurb on his scouting sheet says, “Imai has very little loyalty, lacks drive, and is slow to learn from experience. He doesn’t tend to make many friends.”

Um, no. No he doesn’t.

So, Mutsuhito, enjoy the waiver life.

You’ve earned it.

[Recording Ends]

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Huntsville Headlines 38.023: Addition by subtraction

Post by ae37jr » Wed May 29, 2019 6:52 pm

As the team with the number #1 waiver priority...I was taking a hard look at him earlier. If he could start it would be a no brainer. But to upset the whole damn team and only get 60 mediocre innings.... not such an easy decision. Even with no risk at all, I'm not sure if It's worth it.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Huntsville Headlines 38.023: Addition by subtraction

Post by HoosierVic » Wed May 29, 2019 7:04 pm

I would only consider him if you have a strong captain and a strong leadership core around him. Maybe you could get away with adding him under those circumstances, but he really trashed my clubhouse. I brought a captain up from AA to try to offset him, and it helped a little, but not enough. It wasn’t worth losing my No. 1 starter to keep him aboard.

Just beware and know what you’re signing up for!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”