54.14: Extension Press Conferences

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

KJChmura
Ex-GM

54.14: Extension Press Conferences

Post by KJChmura » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:53 pm

Over the past few weeks, the Chicago Black Sox have come to terms with the following players on contract extensions: Felipe Mendez, Mike Baker, Francisco Ortiz & Rocky Wattson. Today, Felipe & Rocky are available for a Press Conference, a transcript of which can be found below.
Wattson.png
Wattson.png (59.4 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Question: With the current state of the team, what made you decide to sign an extension?

Rocky: When I was traded to Chicago earlier in the year, I was ecstatic. Most of my career has been in Chicago. In fact, my family & I still own our home within driving distance of the facility. At 35, I know my best days are behind me, but Chicago offered me a Legacy deal, which is something that is impossible to turn down.

(Editors Note: A Legacy Deal with the Chicago Black Sox is very rare. It is offered to a veteran player who has a strong history with the organization. Legacy deals are considered Lifetime Contracts. With Wattson, Chicago has promised to continue offering him one year deals until his retirement, as long as he is semi-productive with the team.)

Felipe: At first, I honestly did not want to play in Chicago. I was ready to test out free agency and decline my player option. It wasn’t until I had a sit down with our new GM Kevin that I fully bought into the plan. I’ve always been somebody that wants to play in one place their whole career. Obviously, that has not happened, but hopefully these next 4 years lead to more and more years.

Question: What do you expect your role to be with the team moving forward?

Rocky: I’ve been told to expect to start anywhere from 50-75 games next year. The front office has been telling me that they do play on exploring first base options in free agency and trade, but that as long as I produce, they will find a way to get me in the lineup. Personally, whether it’s a starting role or bench, I am open to whatever I can to help the team win.

Felipe: I plan on being in the starting rotation. I’ve been in the rotation since coming over and believe I have done enough to stay. Long term, I am open to a bullpen role, but right now & for the next year, I am planning to be part of the rotation.

Question: What do you think this team looks like in a year from now?

Rocky: Honestly, I hope we are competing for a playoff spot. I know the team is going to be young and have a lot of learning experiences, but they will have to learn quick.

Felipe: We will be competing for playoffs. When I signed my contract, I was told the goal is to compete starting in 2055. I trust what I have been told. Hopefully, we can improve in offseason and compete next year.

neugey
Ex-GM

Re: 54.14: Extension Press Conferences

Post by neugey » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:42 pm

I have not heard that term "Legacy Deal" before, but that is a good name for it. It's basically what the Saints did with Drew Brees until he retired.

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”