Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Huntsville Headlines 38.013: Diesel Power

Post by HoosierVic » Thu May 16, 2019 9:37 pm

By Beauregard Sawyer IV
The Huntsville Times
2028-09-08

Are the Huntsville Phantoms about to become diesel powered?

Well, if you make that Diesel Dave powered, you might be on to something.

With September roster limits expanding to 40 players, Phantoms management has been considering giving some of their more developed prospects a proverbial “cup of coffee” with the big team.

However, because the Carolina Flight – Huntsville’s AAA affiliate – won its division in the Rupert Horn Memorial League, management has decided not to call any of those players up until their playoffs are over.
Diesel Dave

But Dave, a promising power-hitting catcher with the AA Beloit Blue Sox, was available, and Huntsville General Manager Vic Caleca decided to give the talented 21-year-old a couple of weeks in the big leagues.

“Diesel – and you’ve gotta love the name, right? – is someone we’ve been planning to invite to Spring Training and give a shot at making the major league team next season,” Caleca said. “So, we thought, what the hell? Let’s give the kid a taste of the Show now and get him revved up.”

Caleca said the coaches believe Dave is getting closer and closer to reaching the full potential on his offensive tools – although he has a way to go yet on his home run power, which they believe could max out at a “9” on their 10-point scale.

“That’s all great, of course,” Caleca said. “But what’s really impressive about Diesel is his character. He’s been the captain of the Beloit squad and is very highly thought of in the clubhouse. Hell, when he walked into our clubhouse this morning, you could feel a change in the atmosphere. He’s just an outstanding young player and leader.”

Dave, meanwhile, seemed to mix easily with his new teammates, introducing himself and chatting easily with virtually everyone.

“I’ll tell you what,” he said during a pause in his introductory routine Wednesday morning, “these are guys I watch every day and try to emulate. So to get a chance to meet someone like (starting catcher) Luis Barrera and have a chance to learn from him … well, that’s a special thing.”

Dave, a native of Woods Cross, UT, struggled to find his footing in the lower levels of the Phantoms farm system earlier in his career, but blossomed this season in Beloit, slashing .251/.289/.477 with 21 homers and 78 RBIs in 102 games. His ability to work with pitchers is top notch, with scouts grading him an “8 out of 10” in that area.

“Look,” Caleca said, “we know some of the stats don’t necessarily scream big-league ready, but some of them do. Sometimes, you go with your gut, and we think Dave is ready for this. If nothing else, it’ll give him some great experience to carry with him to Carolina next year if he needs a little more seasoning.”

Even with all that detail and explanation, though, there was still one glaring issue the team had neglected:

The name. What’s the deal with that name?

Dave just laughed at the question - which he no doubt hears every day, several times a day - and then explained:

“Nothing mysterious - I'm not a robot or anything. My dad’s a truck driver and his dad was a truck driver … and, well, hell it’s probably truck drivers all the way down in my family. So, it was kind of a way to honor the profession that’s supported our folks over the years – over the decades, really,” Dave said.

“And besides, it’s a pretty awesome name for a professional catcher, don’t you think? You really wanna try to run over a guy named Diesel at the plate? If so, you better hope your major medical is paid up!”

So get your CB radios warmed up, Phantoms fans. We’re about to get a taste of what a Diesel powered baseball team looks like!

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Huntsville Headlines 38.013: Diesel Power

Post by RonCo » Thu May 16, 2019 9:51 pm

Good defense and power, and will probably strike out 250-300 times a year is he played full time. :)

Gotta be someone's custom ammy.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Thu May 16, 2019 9:58 pm

He reminds me of "The Brooklyn Slager" Sam Adams.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Thu May 16, 2019 10:00 pm

Two things I love:

The name and, well, the name ...

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Thu May 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Realistically, he’ll be a platoon at best - but he is a captain, and Huntsville doesn’t have one. The clubhouse is pretty much imploding at this point, so I wanted to see if he could make a difference ... the mood went from unhappy to discontent (or something like that) immediately, so we’ll see. Of course, now the Beloit clubhouse will become a thunderdome, but I can address that later ... maybe sign Tina Turner to a one-year deal ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”