Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Huntsville Headlines 38.007: 400th homer ignites war of words

Post by HoosierVic » Mon May 13, 2019 5:14 pm

By Beauregard Sawyer IV
The Huntsville Times
2028-08-21

Norris Rutledge hit his 400th career home run on Friday, igniting a war of words with the Brooklyn Robins, who felt his boyish enthusiasm while circling the bases was inappropriate.

Rutledge connected with the first pitch from Brooklyn starter Luke LaSalle to lead off the third inning, driving the ball 360 feet into the right field stands of the Huntsville Opera House.

Norris Rutledge
According to the BNN account of the game, Rutledge knew the ball was out as soon as he hit it:
“He raised his hands in the air, then ran the bases like a high school player, clapping and grinning.

He told reporters in the postgame interview, ‘I was acting goofy running the bases... but it was my 400th home run.’

“It was great," his manager said. "He stood there and watched it...we all did. You just felt it was coming...you just had a sense he would hit it soon. He has been having a lot of good at-bats. It was great to get it out of the way.”
Rutledge's display rankled LaSalle and his teammates, though, who had plenty to say to the Brooklyn press after the game.

Said LaSalle: “"360 feet. That's all you got? I've given up longer dingers to Reynaldo Ruíz (a shortstop for New Orleans who has 12 career homers).”
Luke LaSalle

Huntsville Manager Bret Richards snorted when told of LaSalle’s comment.

“That wouldn’t surprise me with the candy-ass pitches LaSalle was throwing out there today. But that’s fine, you go ahead and brag about how you give up long homers to light hitters,” Richards said.

“Congrats to you, though – you got yourself in the record book today, too. You’re now forever the poor sap who gave up Rutledge’s 400th. Something to tell the grandkids about … or, maybe not.”

Brooklyn manager Tomás Valdéz was even more outspoken than his pitcher, telling Brooklyn reporters that Rutledge had acted like a “clown:”

“I mean we beat them 3 out of four,” Valdéz said. “This guy hits a solo HR and he acts like he just won a Landis. Newsflash buddy... you ain't winning a Landis in Huntsville anytime soon.”
Tomás Valdéz

Rutledge just laughed when told of Valdéz’s comments.

“Yeah, well, I like my chances at a Landis better than his,” Rutledge said. “Big talk for a guy whose team is 30-and-a-half games out of first place.

“You’d think he’d understand the thrill of hitting a milestone homer, what with all the homers he hit in his career … oooh, no, sorry. Guess he wouldn’t know, would he? Did he even have a career? Well, that’s OK. He’s watched a lot of home runs – including my 400th. So suck on that, Valdéz.”

Rutledge’s blast put him alone in 12th place among active home run leaders, a list that’s led by Alfredo Martinez of the California Crusaders, who has 496.

A few Phantoms players had sympathy for LaSalle and the Robins, saying they understood that Rutledge had violated the unwritten rule against showing up an opponent by celebrating on the way around the bases.

“Yeah, the old time traditionalists don’t like that stuff,” said catcher Luis Barrera. “I get that. But I also get that Norris was excited. That’s a big deal, 400. I think they (Brooklyn) will cool down and understand that Norris got caught up in the moment.”

That may be wishful thinking, though, because some Brooklyn players were vowing revenge the next time the teams meet, Sept. 13-15 in New York.

And Rutledge wasn’t exactly shy about providing bulletin board material for the match-up.

“Gee,” he said. “What’ll they do? Drill me with one of those 55 mph lollipops LaSalle throws? Hell, if I faced Brooklyn everyday, I’d have passed (all time home run champ) Bopper Kengos by now.

“Tell you what, Robins. Bring it! See ya in September.”

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Huntsville Headlines 38.007: 400th homer ignites war of words

Post by ae37jr » Mon May 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Nice. Now I have something to get excited about in September. Hopefully something exciting happens and we can build off of it.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Huntsville Headlines 38.007: 400th homer ignites war of words

Post by RonCo » Mon May 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Let the kids play. :cool:
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

bschr682
Ex-GM