37.15. Pre-Offseason Decisions

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

agrudez
Ex-GM

37.15. Pre-Offseason Decisions

Post by agrudez » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:23 am

After collecting our thoughts and laying out our plans for the offseason, it was time to make some decisions.

First up were the arb and TO decisions for Workman and Yelainen. Declining Workman's TO was an easy one, but Yelainen was an agonizing choice. I've never been more frustrated by a player in my entire OOTP career. This kid has all the talent in the world and showed it with steady 3-4 WAR production in Long Beach. Then, he comes to LHB heaven and starts to play like dog shit. It's baffling. Compounding the issue is that our frustration boiled over last season into the trade for Bedolla whom - despite being half the player Yelainen is ratings wise - easily outplayed the aloof Leyli. So... now I have a habitual underachiever with his primary position filled set to make 8.1M next year - another easy decision, right? Well... I decided to make the exact opposite of a logical decision - keeping him - and hopefully I didn't over think it. Here was the thought process:

1) I know I've been fooled before, but man... he's due for a "pull it back together" season one of these times... right? RIGHT?!
1a) If he plays like he CAN and SHOULD he will net me a comp pick. Maybe even a Type A if it's a full return to form.
2) With ~40M in cap space to play with this offseason I didn't *really* need to cut bait with him.
2a) Considering I pretty much always spend to the cap, this actually seemed like a way to artificially "defer" some cap space for next season - since there is a 0.0% chance that I extend Yelainen even if he plays well (ie. freeing up 8.1M to play with next year).
3) He actually played pretty well at 2B last season (-0.2 ZR in 93 games) and the list Ted posted of upcoming FAs was pretty damn depressing for middle infielders.

I guess now the only thing left to do is "wait and see". Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding my breath for #1 to pan out. Maybe not even for #3 to continue. But... idk... a guy can dream, I guess?

Moving on, we had some pretty clear 'chaff' to cull to make more cap and budget space. So... fond farewells to Linder, Kouda and Ramirez - remember to send postcards once you're in the UEMBA. Notably missing from this list is Martinez and Klein - set to combine for nearly 5M next season. At the end of the day, we kind of took the same approach as #2 from Yelainen (ie. forcing us to defer cap space to next season). Even if they both end up spending large chunks of the season in AAA due to roster crunch. At worst they'll save Archer and Lugo from starting their arb clocks in April.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”