37.12. Post Draft (and Trades) Prospect Rankings (11-20)

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

agrudez
Ex-GM

37.12. Post Draft (and Trades) Prospect Rankings (11-20)

Post by agrudez » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:58 pm

After having 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the draft (from not signing draft picks last season) and becoming a bit of a seller this season, the Phantoms minor leagues have been completely revamped in a rather short time period. And although OSA only deigns to give us the #20 spot in their top systems rankings, I whole heartedly disagree and am excited about the pool we have. It might be because I'm habitually a buyer or because our drafts have been so much better of late, but I can honestly say that I can't remember ever having so much in a prospect system to be legitimately enticed about watching grow as I currently do now. Anyway, without further ado, let's get on with the ranks (with one note, I am purposefully leaving Reyes off this list despite still technically being considered a prospect by OSA)...

11) RF Geerdinkck - After a pitcher heavy 1-10, Geerdinkck kicks off a position player heavy 11-20. He's raw at 18 years old, but is interestingly well developed in his key stats (CON, GAP) and showing a +split vs. RHP (which is always an exciting thing for the Phantoms... did we mention Reyes already?). Potential wise, he has clear starter upside (currently projecting for 9/9/7/5/7 against RHP) and might be even better than that. A few bumps (either to OF range to make him a CF or offensively) and he could be a bonafide star. It'll be awhile before we get the verdict on him, though.

12) C Dave - There is a lot to like about Dave. OSA likes him enough to rank him as my #4 prospect and #92 in the MBBA. Arguably for good reason - after all, how many LH'd catchers with +defense and 10 power are there? He slips down this list, though, because his warts are concerning enough to force it. 2 EYE basically means his OBP=AVG... and with 6 CON and 3 AVK he isn't exactly going to be hitting for high AVG to start with. Now, can I live with a ~.290 OBP if he's hitting 40 HRs? You bet. Especially if he's playing elite defense and keeping the locker room together (personality class: captain). Can I live with it if he's only hitting 25 HRs, though? That's a more pressing question. And though his POW *is* elite, you have to get the bat on the ball first before you can put it out of the park. That all said, he's well developed for his age (1 CON, 5 POW to full POT at age 20) and currently holding his own in AAA (nearly a .700 OPS) at a tender age so there are good signs, too. We're really hoping that he can manifest a +split vs. RHP in CON, EYE or AVK (which he hasn't yet), though.

13) SS Ngowa - The first of my recent trade acquisitions to grace the list, Ngowa has a lot to like with stellar defense and a +EYE. He's a RHB, though, which is always a knock in HSV's book; however, since he doesn't rely on HR power (the primary thing that separates a LHB from a RHB at the Opera House) it isn't disqualifying for him. As-is, we're concerned that he's a bit of a tweener, though. With only 8 range, we wonder how good of a SS he can be defensively - and if he'll be forced, eventually to play 2B. And with his batting profile as a RHB, we're concerned that he won't be offensively valuable enough at 2B to justify the spot (whereas at SS we'd be much less lenient). The main things in his corner (and one of the main reasons that we acquired him); however, is his history of bumping. He's a remarkable +1 CON, +2 POW and +3 EYE since 1/1/2036 - a mere year and a half ago. He's also +1 EYE since 1/1/2037 which shows that it wasn't completely a flash in the pan. If he can keep that up, even just a little, he could see his stock within the organization skyrocket over the coming months and years.

14) SP Ischade - This one might be a bit surprising since OSA only gives him a 2 star POT; however, I love this guy with a capital 'L'. A blue cutter and a +split vs. LHBs from a Southpaw have me very excited. He currently projects for 7/8/7, 7/7/6 splits... tell me with a straight face that is a 2 star POT. Ludwig Charles has put up a 3 WAR/200 IP average over the past 3 seasons with a poor man's version of those splits (6/7/7, 6/7/7). I'll take that any day of the year.

15) RP Imai - Not long ago Imai would've been in the top 5-10 of this prospect list as a SP with 9/7/6 potential. Then, injuries struck and siphoned away his stamina all the way to '3' - making him a full time RP. A cautionary tale for getting excited over prospects for certain; however, luckily for Imai, he projects to be a really good reliever with 10/7/6 ratings. He is also only 2 points (in STU) off his POT and, thus, could easily see himself as a September callup and/or on next year's opening day roster.

16) SS Reyes - Middle infield help is hard to find. If you need evidence look no further than the shambles of my current DP combo. Reyes is an underwhelming RHB offensively; however, has a legit SS glove with 9 range and 10 arm. He's also showing a +split vs. LHP (and no -split vs. RHP) to help him out a bit in terms of offensive contribution. We hold no illusions about him being a superstar, but sometimes having a consistent producing starter is just what the doctor ordered. At 17, it remains to be seen if he can be that, but as of today he certainly has the potential to.

17) RP Ruijghaver - OSA didn't have this kid cracking my top 30 prospects and I couldn't disagree more. After seeing what Baez and Alfonzo were able to do for the team the past few years, I'll gladly take a 'poor man's' version of that. His level of development at age 20 is a bit of concern, though, but not enough to be panicked - yet.

18) LF Barber - Honestly, with how my corner OFers have played this year, Barber should probably be in the majors right now. Good defense, elite speed, 8 CON and decent other batting ratings vs. RHP. He looks like he could walk in day one and be at minimum a quality strong side platoon option or 4th outfielder. He's being held back to help facilitate learning new positions, though - particularly LF, which is more than likely his best future position defensively. In the middle of that, the team is also waiting with baited breath to see if he can continue his upward trajectory of bumps (a large reason why the team targeting him in trades earlier in the year) after seeing his CON, POW and EYE potential rise 1 point apiece over the past few months. Fully developed at a tender age with a recent history of bumping is just how I like them... you can call that a Stever Special.

19) SP Mangin - It's probably no secret that, with only 5 MOV, Mangin isn't my 'cup of tea'. That said, he clearly deserves this rank (or higher) based on his talent. I'm trying to find a taker to flip him for someone that more fits my mold and am pretty surprised that I haven't gotten a taker yet - especially in light of his recent past of bumping and proximity to his full potential. Until then, I'll sit on him and hope for more bumps - particularly in the MOV rating.

20) RP Guzman - A slider+cutter combo and +split vs. RHBs are Guzman's claims to fame. He's also extremely well developed for an 18 year old - especially in the past draft that was so raw across the board. He won't turn heads without some bumps, but he projects to be a quality piece of our future bullpen.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”