36.2. Past the All-Star Break

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

agrudez
Ex-GM

36.2. Past the All-Star Break

Post by agrudez » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:24 pm

30 games have been played since our last review and the team has cooled down considerably going an even 15-15 in the time frame entering and, subsequently, exiting the all-star break. A good amount of the lackluster play can be chalked up to the underwhelming (as a gross understatement) performance of McPetrie as he attempted (using the term generously) to fill in the rotation after Charles and Tong went down. The team; however, picked up Linder and Ortiz to try to both stymie the current bleeding as well as prepare them for any more rotation injuries down the road - and then got Tong back from the DL shortly after. So, with that pretty obvious crisis now past, we're looking forward to getting back to our earlier play down the stretch run. As things stand now, we're 2.5 back of Jacksonville for the division and 3 games ahead of Mexico City for the wildcard - so whether we win the Southeast or miss out entirely is still wholly up in the air.

Leading the charge, as they have been all season, are Nebraska candidate, Peithner, MVP candidate Torres and Fireman candidate Velasquez. Together, those three have combined for 8.6 WAR as of this writing. They aren't doing it alone, though, with names like Nicto, Klein, Barrera and Hall having tremendous seasons in their own right; however, there is certainly room in some of their teammate's games to improve. Sandcastle (0.6 WAR) and Sullivan (0.1 WAR) stand out most prominently, but even Yelainen (1.6 WAR) and Tong (1.6 WAR) whom are playing well by an average player's standards are pretty close to 'shitting the bed' by their own.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: 36.2. Past the All-Star Break

Post by Lane » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:39 pm

I hate to see Yelanian struggle like that.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: 36.2. Past the All-Star Break

Post by agrudez » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:26 am

Lane wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:39 pm
I hate to see Yelanian struggle like that.
I remember a preseason prediction that had him in the top 10 JL batter's list. I tried to track it down yesterday to do an article about underperformers like him from those lists (assuming he isn't the only one), but couldn't find the one that had him on it. Maybe I dreamed it. Either way, he's having a pretty disappointing season to say the least.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”